Help Please Cant Get Grey Mixed Up!!

Decorating By chellescountrycakes Updated 3 Sep 2010 , 11:45pm by chellescountrycakes

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 10:06pm
post #1 of 9

I am airbrushing a cake, and need the truck to be grey- I hav tried everything.

ALL I have is wilton gel colors. Thats all I can get. (yeah, order them online... I guess I need to, )

Please help me with what to do.

I have tried to mix black and blue like the color chart said.

I used black and some loriann white that I had, it came out grey with a green sheen.

I cant get the green out.

I even tried strait black, just with vodka- still a green sheen...

I can make grey fondant and its great, but cant make paint for the airbrush.... any suggestions?? just add less black-

I am at my whits end and have been working onit for HOURS!! I have another cake due tomorrow I havnt even started on. LOL

I really dont want to have to redo this whole truck. It took me 2 hours to cut each peice of fondant. (cut the door, windows, hood, fenders etc seperatly, so it looks more realistic... )

8 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 10:08pm
post #2 of 9

My Hobby Lobby is now carrying AmeriColors.. If you have access to a HL that might be your answer. icon_smile.gif

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 10:17pm
post #3 of 9

there is either green tibnt in the black....would a light blue and then luster dust do it? sorry I am guessing here....maybe get a bump for ya though icon_smile.gif good luck

chellescountrycakes Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 10:24pm
post #4 of 9

jan, thank you, but no, the closest HL is over an hour away, and they only carry a few loriann foodcolors. primary colors mostly.

madge, I did try a small amount of blue in the black, I do have silver luster dust. I can try it. I still had a large amount of green in the color when I did the blue.. then it got too blue and just made a dark blue. ROFLMAO

I amjust lost...

tcwheeler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcwheeler Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 10:26pm
post #5 of 9

Hmmm...makes me think about my own gray fondant. I have gray fondant that I tinted with black. After drying for several days, it's rather greenish but my silver luster dust looks aweseome on it still! lol So my advice would be LUSTER DUST! But to answer your real question, sorry, will have to watch what others share. icon_smile.gif

chellescountrycakes Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 10:43pm
post #6 of 9

well, I just stripped off all the fondant, made grey fondant with black and blue, and now I have to recover it. still havent done any details on the truck, this just makes me sooo mad- The dadgum color was supposed to be the easiest part...

tcwheeler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcwheeler Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 10:45pm
post #7 of 9

Can so feel your pain. Sometimes, it seems like the color is what gets me. If I can just get the right color, the rest is a breeze. Anxious to see your end result. icon_smile.gif

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 10:51pm
post #8 of 9

oh man that stinks....thats the kinda things that usually happens to me, and I dont have a sprayer, but this is my birthday month hehe.....hope it goes better for ya now

chellescountrycakes Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 11:45pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks y'all icon_smile.gif

Ijust covered it ingrey.. I reckon it will be okay- I'm just tired. LOL

I got the airbrush, and honestly, its not really helped me a bit. I guess I need to really practice with it. But need to find some cheap paints to practice with. I am not an artist, so painting and such kills me.

I wish I could upload someof my more recent cakes. my camera is kaput. I've been emailing them from my phone to myself. LOL I'll have to do it like that. I've just been lazy lately...

or too busy. my days off are Mon and Tue, and thats grocery and 'get all the work on the farm' done days... plus, "LYSOL the kitchen" day. LOL

Plus, I just done want to see cake on those days... LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%