Need Hot Pink Buttercream

Decorating By tcwheeler Updated 8 Sep 2010 , 2:50am by tcwheeler

tcwheeler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcwheeler Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 9:56pm
post #1 of 20

Trying to save myself from a disaster. Texas, humid, heat. Used Wilton buttercream because it's been pretty successful before; added m. powder for stability; used Wilton Rose and Americolor Electric Pink for color. So far, it's not as dark/deep as I want. Afraid to add much more right now because I've had white/shortening show through before in my deep colors. Any tips and tricks that you can share? Thanks!

19 replies
madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 10:10pm
post #2 of 20

It usually gets a bit deeper in color after a little while....maybe wait before adding more....if you can....

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 10:14pm
post #3 of 20

I just made a cake with hot pink buttercream last week. I never got it to the shade I wanted, but in fact it did get to a nice deep color by the time the party rolled around. I was afraid to put too much in because, like you, I didn't want to affect the taste.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 10:16pm
post #4 of 20

Add in a little cornstarch. That will help balance out adding all the extra color and help it from seperating on you.

tcwheeler Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 10:19pm
post #5 of 20

Hmm....cornstarch? I wonder if my m. powder will help for that too. Wait and see...that's where I am right now. I'm going to give it a couple of hours and access it again.

TexasSugar Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 10:43pm
post #6 of 20

MP does something different.

The cornstarch will help absorb some of the extra liquid/moisture you have added from the colors. Your powder sugar already has cornstarch in it, so adding it isn't adding anything new to your buttercream.

tcwheeler Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 10:46pm
post #7 of 20

Thanks for the clarification. Was thinking absorption just with the wrong item. icon_wink.gif

TexasSugar Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 10:50pm
post #8 of 20

Sometimes when doing darker colors, especially red and black, I just toss in a spoon or so of cornstarch, because the darker colors, especially when starting with a softer icing do seem to cause my icing to seperate. And, yes, I even have the same problem using Americolor colors.

tcwheeler Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 10:52pm
post #9 of 20

Awesome! Will try when I tackle trying to darken it in a bit. Might have to try it on some of my previous icing that I have refrigerated that separated.

madgeowens Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 10:59pm
post #10 of 20

Personally I would use the sugar. I suppose it can't hurt though lol....just dont want bc to taste like cornstarch

TexasSugar Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 11:04pm
post #11 of 20

You are only adding in a small amount to it, so there isn't a heavy cornstarch taste to it. No one has ever complained or commented on a cornstarch taste to the buttercream.

TC, let me know how it worked for you, if you try it.

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 11:27pm
post #12 of 20

I use cornstarch in my cookie glaze all the time when Im thickening it.... It helps not make it too sweet!

madgeowens Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 11:41pm
post #13 of 20

Hey I am all for less sweet myself. Was talking to someone the other day who had tried some girls fondant and he said he could not get past the corn starch taste, thats why I said that.

Also I would like to say Texas knows her stuff....just check out her gorgeous cakes.......you can't go wrong with her advice!

madgeowens Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 11:41pm
post #14 of 20

sweetheart that pic is too cute lol

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 5:12pm
post #15 of 20

Thanks for the idea, TexasSugar. I'm going to try it the next time I have to use a lot of color.

tcwheeler Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 4:35am
post #16 of 20

The cornstarch worked like a charm!!!!! Thanks so much. Now, if I can just manage to ever be able to get the right shade of hot pink. My color is beautiful but I would not call it hot pink....more of a fushia/magenta shade. Of course, since the cake was frosted in it, it's going to stand out. Oh well, another day, another cake. icon_smile.gif

madgeowens Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 6:11pm
post #17 of 20

Glad it all worked out for you. Be sure and post the pic I can't wait to see it.

TexasSugar Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 2:27pm
post #18 of 20

Glad the cornstarch worked for you! icon_smile.gif

Another thing that helps is if you know you are going for darker colors and will need alot of color gel use less liquid when making your buttercream, since the color gel will thin it down some for you.

Madge, Thank you! icon_smile.gif

tcwheeler Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 2:04am
post #19 of 20

Thanks TexasSugar (again *smile*), I did think of that so I used a little less liquid. I just need to remember that the colors darken. ha Oh, Madge...mine I don't think is CC worthy...well maybe Constructive Critique..haha

tcwheeler Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 2:50am
post #20 of 20

Ok..I posted the pic. Thanks for the encouragement! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%