Homemade Fondant Vs Store Bought?

Decorating By SSGirly Updated 3 Sep 2010 , 11:13pm by ycknits

SSGirly Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 9:14pm
post #1 of 9

Just wondering.. I'm starting to become increasingly unhappy with my satin ice.

How do you like what you are using?

8 replies
ycknits Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 9:31pm
post #2 of 9

I make my own MMF using Edna's recipe at designmeacake.com, and love it. I've had no problem at all with consistency (repeatable results). I usually make three batches, one at a time, back to back so that I have enough on hand to make several cakes. I tried doubling the batch, but stalled out my KitchenAid Pro 600, so I'll never do that again! I much prefer my own homemade MMF to any that I've purchased.

TrixieTreats Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 9:46pm
post #3 of 9

I make my own. I use Michelle Foster's Fondant recipe (Not an option on the poll). I have not had luck with Marshmallow Fondant. I found it to be too soft, but I know many people love it. If I purchase fondant (usually just intense colors like black or red) I buy Fondarific or Duff's (same)

madgeowens Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 10:09pm
post #4 of 9

I ran out of wnough mmf last night and mixed wilton in with my home made to get more, and did that ever roll out nicely!!! I think I may mix the two again for a big rolled out piece like my jersey cake....real nice to handle large sheet...

Marianna46 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 10:23pm
post #5 of 9

I've used MMF and Michele Foster's homemade fondants and Satin Ice and FondX commercial. Homemade fondant is just too much trouble for the amount I use. I like both FondX and Satin Ice (although it has sort of a strange taste -somewhere between almond extract and chemicals), but just recently I came across one called Massa Ticino by a Swiss company named Carma that's perfect for me, because it has a version that's specially formulated for tropical climates. I can't say enough good things about it!

msulli10 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 10:31pm
post #6 of 9

I find using Satin Ice and Wilton mixed together works the best and actually tastes good. Not worth the hassle of making the MMF.

catlharper Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 10:31pm
post #7 of 9

MMf except for black or red which I usually buy fondarific.

madgeowens Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 10:53pm
post #8 of 9

I must say if you can get black cocoa powder......that works to make black really well...I add it when I add sugar and then it only needs a wee bit of black color....it works great...and smells soooooo good

ycknits Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 11:13pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks for the black cocoa idea! I can't wait to try this out :>)

Quote by @%username% on %date%