How Do I Stack A 9" Cake On A Sheet Cake?

Decorating By KMKakes Updated 11 Sep 2010 , 12:53am by CWR41

KMKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KMKakes Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 8:52pm
post #1 of 8

Hi all CC's. How do I stack a 9"round cake on a sheet cake covered in fondant? A friend of mine is going to keep the round cake for the next day (the actual b'day) but wants to serve the sheet cake. Will I need supports and boards,etc.? Tried to find post on forum's, unsuccessful.

7 replies
KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 1:58am
post #2 of 8

Treat it like you would any stacked cake--YES, you will need supports. Look at the tutorials here on CC and on YouTube for details.

You need vertical support through the bottom cake--dowels, large straws, wilton pilars, SPS pilars. These will hold the plate--cardboard cake circle, foam core circle, wilton separator plate, SPS plate--that holds the cake for the upper tier. The support rods bear the weight of the top cake so it doesn't crush the bottom one. Critical to get the support rods even and for everything to be true & level.

Good luck,
Kristy

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 2:06am
post #3 of 8

Place the 9 in cake on a cardboard cake board. Prior to placing it on the sheet cake, insert straws or dowels in the sheetcake which will support your 9 in cake. Once you have it stacked, you can place a dowel down the middle of both cakes so they don't slide.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 9:52am
post #4 of 8

Is this going to be a 2" tall sheet cake with a 2" tall nine-inch-round-cake? If so, that's just a regular 2-layer cake and they happen to be two different shapes. I wouldnt' put supports in because we dont' put supports in a regular 2-layer cake.

If one of the cakes is 4" tall, then yes, I'd add the supports.

KMKakes Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 12:56pm
post #5 of 8

The size of the sheet cake needs to be 18x24 and the round cake is going to be 9x2. I am needing the sheet cake to feed at least 60 people. I do realize that the 18x24 may not fit into my standard home oven so I will have to come up with something to make the sheet cake requested. Nonetheless it will be a 9x2 on a very large sheet cake (cupcakes were not desired).

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 2:22pm
post #6 of 8

If your friend is planning to keep the 9" for the next day, then it definitely needs to be on its own board. Therefore, you're going to have to use straws or dowels for support. No one is going to want to dig that cakeboard out of the sheet cake icing. icon_smile.gif

KMKakes Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 8:54pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks for the reply! I will keep the separate cake boards in mind.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 12:53am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMKakes

The size of the sheet cake needs to be 18x24... I am needing the sheet cake to feed at least 60 people. I do realize that the 18x24 may not fit into my standard home oven so I will have to come up with something to make the sheet cake requested.

Two 12 x 18 half sheets pushed together serve approx. 100
Two 11 x 15 third sheets pushed together serve approx. 70

Why would they request the larger size when they only need 60 servings? I hope you're getting paid for the 100 servings instead of only what they need... if not, you should recommend the correct size for them because they probably don't have a clue they're ordering too much.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%