Question For You.....

Decorating By DarleneP Updated 3 Sep 2010 , 9:03pm by dchockeyguy

DarleneP Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 8:16pm
post #1 of 5

Is hi ratio shortening bad for you? Is it super unhealthy or something? Just wondering why Crisco changed it in the first place?

4 replies
TexasSugar Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 8:25pm
post #2 of 5

Hi ratio shortening and Crisco are not the same thing. As far as I know Crisco has never been hi ratio.

Crisco removed the trans fats, which are suppose to be bad for you. It still has fats in it, after all it is shortening.

While Hi Ratio shortening may still have trans fats in it, that isn't the difference between it and Crisco.

tootie0809 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 8:35pm
post #3 of 5

High-ratio shortening has added microemulsifiers. It is 100% fat, so no, it's not healthy. It allows icing to hold more water and sugar and it leaves a less greasy mouthfeel. Ever since I tried it, I've used in exclusively. It's more expensive than Crisco, but makes a world of difference in icings made with shortening.

DarleneP Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 8:40pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks for the info. I have been beating my crisco to death and cutting it with butter-this isn't so bad-less coating on the tongue. I also refrigerate my cakes...

I guess I will try sweetex as soon as the weather cools down and it can be shipped to me...

dchockeyguy Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 9:03pm
post #5 of 5

I know some people swear by Sweetex, CK also makes Hi Ratio shortening, as do some other people I believe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%