Crumb Coated And I've Got A Little Bulge

Decorating By Jenniferkay Updated 3 Sep 2010 , 9:28pm by aandsmommy

Jenniferkay Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 7:40pm
post #1 of 8

I've searched and searched....ugh.

Just a quick question. All my cakes are crumb coated, baked yesterday filled this morning, crumbed this afternoon. I've got some strawberry bc coming out of one of them. Just a smidge. I've never had this happen. I'm scared to that maybe a river will come out! What should I do? Should I scrape and smooth? Should I squish the cake more then scrape and smooth?

7 replies
step0nmi Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 7:54pm
post #2 of 8

DON'T SQUISH!'ve got to let your cake settle after putting your filling in. What kind of strawberry filling? I would make a stiff bc and try to patch it up real quick...your dam might not have been stiff enough icon_sad.gif

msauer Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 7:55pm
post #3 of 8

I'm thinking it would be better to take the risk now than later when your final coat is on. I'd scrape off the crumb coat and see if you can repair it. If a little bit of strawberry gets in your final coat that could be disasterous AND you don't want it to hold out on the leaking until later...better to take care of him now. Since it is bc, you could even just take the whole thing apart and start the filling and icing process over. I've had to do it stinks, but again...better than the alternative!

Good luck.

aandsmommy Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 8:15pm
post #4 of 8

yes, ITA...take it out and do it again. If it starts leaking, it won't stop...don't ask how I know. I always make my buttercream dams double thick (wide) when I have soft fillings now...It helps keep everything inside.
good luck...I know it sucks!

Jenniferkay Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 8:28pm
post #5 of 8

fondant is going on top. and it's not leaking, it's just a little bubble. it's holding in place for past few hours. the strawberry bc was medium consistency. are we still in agreement to take apart?

step0nmi Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 8:41pm
post #6 of 8 was strawberry bc! hmmm....I don't know what kind of strawberries you used to mix. I would still say that making some stiff frosting and covering up the bulge would do it...but you may need to just scrap out the bulge first then re-crumb coat that part

Jenniferkay Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 8:52pm
post #7 of 8

i schmeared it with stiff buttercream. hope it holds

aandsmommy Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 9:28pm
post #8 of 8

oh, i thought there was strawberry filling leaking out. If I use a buttercream that has fruit in it, I still only use it as a filling and use a plain buttercream dam, so no fruit is leaking out. Hopefully the fondant will hold it all together...just be careful of air bubbles.

Quote by @%username% on %date%