I Am Too Expensive Apparently.

Lounge By strathmore Updated 4 Sep 2010 , 9:38pm by cakesbycathy

strathmore Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 7:32pm
post #1 of 7

She wants a 21st cake 2 tiers and I have a 10 and 8 inch squares so I make that 75ish servings ?? I asked $200. She was going to send me a photo of a wedding cake she wanted it to look like but also wanted a starburst and 21 topper - she saw the barbie cake in my photos from a family member and liked what I did. So thats a bout $2.60 per person. I wonder how much they are spending on food and alcohol per person. Or am I wrong.

6 replies
playingwithsugar Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 7:43pm
post #2 of 7

No, you are not wrong. A lot of people out there think that just because some of us work from home, that a cake shouldn't cost that much.

Stand your ground.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

dchockeyguy Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 9:07pm
post #3 of 7

It's true. Most people have no idea what a cake should cost. They think a 2-tier cake should be $20-$30. Hah!

cakesbycathy Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 11:32pm
post #4 of 7

You're not wrong. Stick to your guns. If they don't like the price they can go somewhere else.

BTW, I charge $3 per slice so I'd be even more expensive thumbs_up.gif

bakingpw Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 12:41am
post #5 of 7

I think your price per serving is right (low in fact) but 75 servings out of that size cake - I don't see how.

strathmore Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 8:29pm
post #6 of 7

I do get a bit messed up with calculating servings but the 10 inch square will do 50 2x1x4 inch pieces correct ?? And the top I decided to use an 8 inch square so that would have been 32 pieces correct ?? So I plucked 75 servings at least out of the air as she caught me off guard with doing 2 tiers and she might have wanted an 8 inch round on top like another cake I did I prefer to underestimate than over estimate. Does that sound correct ?? I have looked at all the serving charts but I do need to use just one method so I don't confuse myself. Numbers and calculation are not my thing !!!

cakesbycathy Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 9:38pm
post #7 of 7

Stick with the Wilton wedding chart. It's what most venues use for cutting cake.

For approx 75 servings I would either do a 6-8-10" round or 8-10" for squares. I don't think an 8" round on top of an 8" square will look right.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%