Cake Boards And Help With Wilton Fondant Mat

Decorating By shannonmarie77 Updated 3 Sep 2010 , 10:13pm by GGx1

shannonmarie77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannonmarie77 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 4:57pm
post #1 of 14

1. Do I need a cake board (i think that is what it is called) in between a 2 layer cake?

2. Is there an easy way to get the Wilton fondant mat to lay flat and not move? I have tried wetting the back and taping it but it still likes to move.

Thanks!!

13 replies
BethLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BethLS Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 5:05pm
post #2 of 14

Hello,

No, you do not need a board inbetween layers of a two-layer cake. You put frosting inbetween the cakes. icon_smile.gif

I couldn't tell you about the mat, don't have one! Sorry! I just roll my fondant out on my biiiig island with a little PS or CS.

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 5:16pm
post #3 of 14

Throw out the mat - it will NEVER lay flat. I've tried everything you can think of. Go out and get a piece of thin plastic sheeting (craft store/fabic dept) Walmart sells it and use that or a silicone mat.

shannonmarie77 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 5:18pm
post #4 of 14

thanks for the replies, yea the mat is pretty bad. icon_surprised.gif

i have a smooth top stove, if i clean it really well would it just be better to roll the mmf out on that?

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 5:31pm
post #5 of 14

lets clarify if you mean layers or tiers! if you mean layers (that total less than 6 inches) then no, you dont need a card. if you mean two tiers, then yes, you need a cake card/ board and dowels to support it.
xx

Sissy_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sissy_Cakes Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 5:31pm
post #6 of 14

I have a Wilton mat and it always wants to move. I have starting taping down each corner (I never roll a piece of fondant big enough to contact the tape). This works pretty good. I am trying to find a good mat to replace it though.

shannonmarie77 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 5:59pm
post #7 of 14

Brincess- I am stacking two 8 inch cakes (2 inches thick each) and then on top of that one 6 inch cake (3 inches thick) for a total of a 7 inch tall cake. So I do need to put a cake board in between the 8's and 6 correct?

Also I am going to use wood dowels in each level but do i need 1 big dowel that goes through all of the cakes?

Thanks!!

AileenGP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AileenGP Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 6:04pm
post #8 of 14

Yes, you need a cake board in between the 8" and 6"

The dowel through the cake depends.. are you making it and serving it at home.. then I would say no. If you are transporting it.. then I would.

Also.. make sure you use food safe dowels...wilton makes some and they are readily available at a craft store..

deah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deah Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 6:09pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannonmarie77

Brincess- I am stacking two 8 inch cakes (2 inches thick each) and then on top of that one 6 inch cake (3 inches thick) for a total of a 7 inch tall cake. So I do need to put a cake board in between the 8's and 6 correct?

Also I am going to use wood dowels in each level but do i need 1 big dowel that goes through all of the cakes?

Thanks!!

You do need a cake board under the 6" before you place it on the 8". And, unless you are traveling a good distance with the cake you won't need a center dowel through both tiers. I've traveled an hour or so without the center dowel without any trouble. Just drive like you have a cake in the car icon_wink.gif

If you had 3 or more tiers you would need the center dowel. One more thing, lots of people, myself included, use bubble straws instead of dowels on the smaller cakes. They are larger in diameter than your normal straw. You can find the bubble straws online or at an Asian market in your area. I find Hardee's straws work well and they are easily accessible to me.

And, about the Wilton mat - mine is in the trash. I used an Atteco mat and love it.

kmstreepey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmstreepey Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 6:16pm
post #10 of 14

Try rolling the mat the other way for storage. It is the opposite way from the way it comes. Let is sit that way for a day before using it. That helps a LOT! The side with the lines and printing should be on the outside when it's rolled up. I store mine in an empty paper towel tube. That way, when you unroll it, it won't roll up on you. I just dab a little water under the corners of mine and it stays pretty well. The key is to have it so that it curls towards the counter instead of away from it.

shannonmarie77 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 8:42pm
post #11 of 14

Thank you for all of the replies and tips!!

For the cake board in between the cake layers can i just use cardboard cut into a circle and covered with tin foil or do I need to go buy one at a cake store?

SSGirly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SSGirly Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 9:10pm
post #12 of 14

The wilton mat is terrible. I just picked up a pastry mat from target for 7.99. It is made by epicura and has non stick top with a non slip back. it also has the grid printed on it.

ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 9:40pm
post #13 of 14

I LOVE my Ateco fondant mat. Expensive ($45?) but worth the investment. It's 24" x 36" so covers the whole depth of my counter; has useful markings and does not ever move!

But DON'T throw away your Wilton mat... they're great for covering up rolled out fondant while you're completing other decorating steps. In that case the curl actually helps. If you put it curl-side-down, it clings to your rolled fondant really well to keep it covered completely. I have four various Wilton mats from classes, etc. Sometimes I use all of them for various reasons when decorating a cake. They're great.... but not for rolling out fondant :>)

GGx1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GGx1 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 10:13pm
post #14 of 14

My Wilton mat still rolls up even though I have stored it rolled the opposite way. I was wondering the other day about getting some plexi glass over it to keep it flat and not moe when rolling. My DH said he did no think that would keep it from sliding around.

Guess I need to check out target.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%