Super Market Cake Buyers Kill Me!!!

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 4 Feb 2013 , 12:29am by Annabakescakes

BlessP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlessP Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 6:46am
post #31 of 79

I used to take it personally too, when somebody will compare the price of the cake that I made with grocery store bought cake. Some people are so rude and tacky. Just ignore them and stick to your price, you don't want that kind of customer anyway.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 7:07am
post #32 of 79

Some people really don't have the money to invest in a first-class cake, and I understand that. I also understand that lots of people really DON'T get the difference between classy and crappy. I'm happy to explain it to those who really want to know, but I'm all for answering snide comments from the ignorant with "There's absolutely no comparison between mine and theirs, dearie!"

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 10:02am
post #33 of 79

To follow on bluehue's coattails, I FREQUENTLY would tell people, "Some people can't afford me .... and that's ok!"

Had one elderly man come into the shop and ask if I had pineapple upside down cake. Told him I could make him one .... what size? He said 10" round. I said $80. He said, with wide eyes, "I was only wanting to spend about TEN!"

I said, "Darlin' I've got more than ten dollars in the fresh pineapple that goes between those 4 layers of cake, in the three layers of filling, plus all of that luscious goodness on the top." Then I adapt what my husband calls my "You're gonna be sorry you got me started!" look and said, "I don't DO (drag out the word "do"!) grocery store cakes!"

Ten bucks. For a cake. With real fruit. Hate to point this out, grampa, but this AIN'T 1937!!!

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 11:51am
post #34 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna46

Some people really don't have the money to invest in a first-class cake, and I understand that. I also understand that lots of people really DON'T get the difference between classy and crappy. I'm happy to explain it to those who really want to know, but I'm all for answering snide comments from the ignorant with "There's absolutely no comparison between mine and theirs, dearie!"

I agree that this is the best way to handle the situation. Answer their ignorance with cake education and as much kindness as you can muster! Some folks just won't "get it" and some can't or won't pay for a handcrafted cake, even though they appreciate the fine quality.

After all, do CCers pay top dollar for everything they buy? Do they buy only the finest restaurant dinners, order custom Italian shoes, and live in houses with hand carved woodwork? Of course not!! We can't all afford the best of everything, even though we admire the artistry of fine work.

Michael, your cakes are wonderful. If you do go into business, I wish you great success!!! There are people out there who love to treat themselves and their guests to beautiful, delicious cakes!!! icon_smile.gif

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 12:27pm
post #35 of 79

I really appreciate everyone's input on my post! I was not expecting the kind words that have been posted! Thank you so much!!

Everyone is correct about some folks cannot afford cakes like ours, and that is ok!!

Love all of my fellow Cakers!!!

Michael

icon_biggrin.gif

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 12:50pm
post #36 of 79

My son's soccer coach's wife once got very excited to hear that I "did cakes". She asked for a business card and was asking me a few questions, when I said, "I have a $50 minimum." She looked like I'd slapped her. No, I never heard from her again.

People just don't know.

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 1:03pm
post #37 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleym

My son's soccer coach's wife once got very excited to hear that I "did cakes". She asked for a business card and was asking me a few questions, when I said, "I have a $50 minimum." She looked like I'd slapped her. No, I never heard from her again.

People just don't know.

I was thinking about doing a $50 minimum too. I also make candy and I just don't think it's worth it to turn on my oven or temper my chocolate for less.

saracollins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saracollins Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 1:15pm
post #38 of 79

This is one of my biggest pet peeves! I've just recently started making cakes for people other than family and have run into this twice now, where people see pictures of cakes I've done and are really excited to have one made for their birthday, wedding etc. After I tell them the price suddenly they're saying "oh, well he's only turning two he won't remember what his cake looks like anyway so we'll skip it this birthday, sorry" or the best "I can get a cake from Zehrs for $20". I feel like saying to these people, sure you can but it's going to look and taste like a $20 cake. They just don't understand how much effort and time goes into making a custom cake. I'd like to see them try and get Zhers or Walmart to match fondant, icing etc. to a ribbon from their bridesmaid dress or their kids birthday invitation!

BillieH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BillieH Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 1:21pm
post #39 of 79

Your cakes are great! icon_smile.gif

This reminds me of last week while on Facebook. I occasionally like to post a picture or two of my latest creations. I had just posted a wine bottle cake I had done for my step MIL. While on FB I got an instant message from an ex co-worker. She said she didn't know I made cake and if she had she would have just asked me to make her daughter bridal shower cake. She went on to complain how expensive it was so I asked how much she payed and where she bought it. Get this, it was a $38 cake from Walmart!!! I than proceeded to tell her that the kind of cakes I make that whopping $38 wouldn't even cover the cost. Needless to say our conversation soon ended after that. She didn't even say goodbye. LOL Sheesh I didn't think I was rude, maybe she was looking for sympathy for shelling out $38, and when she didn't get it from me maybe she got mad?! LOL

I wouldn't have made her a cake anyway. However for certain people (lol people I like) I will offer to do the cake at cost for the sheer fun of it. But even the at cost price scares them off. Which is fine by me. icon_smile.gif

NewtoConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewtoConfections Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 1:41pm
post #40 of 79

Mikel79 those are some gorgeous cakesicon_smile.gif Are you kidding me even at $2.50 per person is cheap where I live home bakeries sell cakes for $4.50 per person. Sheesh I had this same thing happen to me recently with birthday cupcakes needless to say the lady wanted Wal-Mart prices so in so many words she will be making a trip to Wal-Mart to get them. You keep doing what you eventually everyone will catch up the way I see it there is a market for everyone when the work is exceptional such as yours they'll be lining up for your $70 cakes!

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 1:53pm
post #41 of 79

Michael, first and foremost your cakes are absolutely gorgeous. They would be worth every penny you choose to charge for them.

Not to hijack this thread, but I really have a question for Indydebi. I have seen you use the "pineapple upside down cake" story on other threads of this nature.

In my neck of the woods, a "pineapple upside down cake" is basically a one-layer cake with sliced pineapple and a brown sugar-butter topping. We all know the kind of cake I mean.

Is it a different thing in your area. Is the 4 layer, pinapple filled cake what people think of as an "upside down" cake?

I am asking seriously. I really am curious about what is the norm in other areas of the country. Things are so much the same and yet so different from region to region.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 1:56pm
post #42 of 79

Some people just don't get how much work goes into a cake. But who can blame them, they think that the cakes from Walmart are fresh. I guess ignorance is bliss.
Edna icon_smile.gif

4realLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4realLaLa Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 2:09pm
post #43 of 79

Michael I absolutely love your cakes. Your work is very clean.

Mikel79 Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 2:13pm
post #44 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4realLaLa

Michael I absolutely love your cakes. Your work is very clean.

Thanks! thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 4:01pm
post #45 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingoodies

In my neck of the woods, a "pineapple upside down cake" is basically a one-layer cake with sliced pineapple and a brown sugar-butter topping. We all know the kind of cake I mean.

Is it a different thing in your area. Is the 4 layer, pinapple filled cake what people think of as an "upside down" cake?

If I were making one for my family, I'd make the single layer one. But one coming out of the shop was the grandiose version! A lot of it had to do with "If I'm going to mess with making this, then it's going to be worth my while!" A single layer "specialty" cake like that wouldn't cover the overhead.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 4:22pm
post #46 of 79

Yeah I had a nice lady this weekend want a couple cakes, one for a shower and one for a birthday....wanted tiered cakes...one for over 30 and one for over 50...

I gave some general pricing and she wanted to know what I could do for $100. (On my front website page I have my minimum price at $200.)

I guess people want novelty cakes but they really don't price around first to see how they should budget. I always tell them I understand budgets and its no problem if they have to change their mind...but I can't afford to lower my prices because I just do a couple (2-3) custom-order cakes per weekend....not a bakery.

indydebi Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 4:25pm
post #47 of 79

How funny ..... my husband is right this second watching one of those "flip this house" shows and the house is worse than anything you'll ever see on "Hoarders". The Haz-Mat clean up guy (Yeah, the place is THAT bad!!) is quoting $18,000 for the job. The house flipper said, "Well, my budget is $3,000."

I laughed and told hubby, "it's like this guy is ordering a wedding cake!" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

sandy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandy1 Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 4:39pm
post #48 of 79

Don't take it to heart! I had a similar thing happen to me just a couple of weeks ago. A woman asked if I'd make her a 3 tier wedding cake for 200 people. I asked when her wedding was, her reply, 2 weeks. icon_eek.gif I told her I would make it for her for $. When I told her how much she told me she would go to BIG Y and buy her cake because she knows she can get it cheaper there. I told her she had a good point and I wished her all the best! icon_lol.gif Most people don't have a clue what it takes to make and decorate a cake. Don't be afraid to stand behind your prices, you know how much you put into doing your cakes. If they don't want to pay your prices, you're better off not having them as customers.
You do very nice work!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 6:39pm
post #49 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel79

Quote:
Originally Posted by VentureSister

The Walmart mentality kills me. It isn't people that are artsy. The arsty ones know from the time and energy they put into their work. It is frustrating when people just don't get it.
One of the CC's has a signature that I love. "Good cake isn't cheap, and cheap cake isn't good."

Love the quote!!! I think this is going to be my new signature. Please let me know who said this so I can give credit!!!! =)

I think it was karensjustdessert who coined that phrase.

Mikel79 Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 6:56pm
post #50 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel79

Quote:
Originally Posted by VentureSister

The Walmart mentality kills me. It isn't people that are artsy. The arsty ones know from the time and energy they put into their work. It is frustrating when people just don't get it.
One of the CC's has a signature that I love. "Good cake isn't cheap, and cheap cake isn't good."

Love the quote!!! I think this is going to be my new signature. Please let me know who said this so I can give credit!!!! =)

I think it was karensjustdessert who coined that phrase.

Thank you !!!! I just quoted this on my Facebook page!!!! Love it !!!!!

Michael

Bonnell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnell Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 7:49pm
post #51 of 79

I have a friend that I'm doing a baby shower cake for as a favor. She offered to come help me today since I'm not charging her for anything but ingredients (barely). I thought that was an excellent idea figuring I would have her wash dishes while I worked. I am doing a 2 tier cake with 2 dz filled cupcakes. First off she asks me how long I think it will take us - "about 3 hours?". After I finished LMAO I told her to stay as long or as short as she wanted. She arrived bright and early this morning and there were no dirty dishes yet so I thought I would have her fill an ice the cupcakes, simple swirl - easy peazy, right?! She iced 48 cupcakes if you count how many she had to scrape the icing off of and start over. The whole time she was mumbling - "I thought this would be easy!" It actually took me a lot more time to teach her and help her than if I had just done them myself. She decided to just watch as I iced the cakes and put the fondant on. She kept saying over and over again, "OMG, I didn't realize what all was involved and how long it actually takes". She said this to my husband as he walked through and he started laughing and said, "oh, this goes on all night sometimes". It's just a matter of education - really a public service if you think about it. I don't think she will ask me to do anymore cakes for a while.

numberonebun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
numberonebun Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 12:55pm
post #52 of 79

they're gorgeous. Your pricing is spot on. People either get it or they don't. Some people balk at my prices and then others, the enlightened ones icon_wink.gif think that $2-$2.50 per serving is more than reasonable.

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 1:31pm
post #53 of 79

I blame some of this on the TV shows. I love to watch them but they do "hide" the truth of it all. You do not see them getting the invoices for their basics, the bills for utilities and certainly not a mention of the price of any of their work goes on air. They talk about how many cakes to get out this week and show it all in a simple done hour show with commercial breaks. On occasion they do show a few problems that pop up. They don't discuss the hours upon hours of work involved, the quality ingredients and not the discount wally world frozen upon arrival cakes. Seriously, if people only realized how many times a wally cake is frozen and defrosted before they purchase it, they would never buy it to begin with!

tripleD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 1:33pm
post #54 of 79

I like when people say" I saw this cake on TV" Then you quote them a price. icon_eek.gif .
Do they think tese tv stars do the cakes for free. I tell them goto the tv persons website and check out there prices. maybe I'm not that high.

Mikel79 Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 1:58pm
post #55 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlynnw

I blame some of this on the TV shows. I love to watch them but they do "hide" the truth of it all. You do not see them getting the invoices for their basics, the bills for utilities and certainly not a mention of the price of any of their work goes on air. They talk about how many cakes to get out this week and show it all in a simple done hour show with commercial breaks. On occasion they do show a few problems that pop up. They don't discuss the hours upon hours of work involved, the quality ingredients and not the discount wally world frozen upon arrival cakes. Seriously, if people only realized how many times a wally cake is frozen and defrosted before they purchase it, they would never buy it to begin with!

I also agree with this! They make it seem very easy and problem free. Even when there is a problem that comes up, they make it seem like it take 3-5 minutes to fix. Yea Right!! It takes me 3-5 minutes to stop crying and freaking out like a school girl!!!!!

mommafixit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommafixit Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 2:48pm
post #56 of 79

Mikel79 your cakes are very well done. Like several have said on here, stand up for your cakes. They are worth the price. I have recently "burnt out" on doing cakes, because I did not price my cakes for what they were worth or sometimes even cost. Don't let this happen to you. I miss doing them so much, but at the same time I cringe at the thought of making one.

Bonnell I tried what you did. It didn't work. They were gone before cake was even finished. Even seeing the whole process and how much work and money it took, the free cake request kept coming. Therefore I am taking a break from making cakes. If I ever decide to start again, you better believe I'll be pricing them for what they are worth.

tripleD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 3:01pm
post #57 of 79

I just had a funny thought.
Just think:
Oven around- $800.00
Mixer around-$300.00
utensils around-$100.00
cake pan around $40.00
ingrediants around-$50.00
cake board/boxes $8.00
burn cream -$3.00
Gas/electric $150.00 monthly
Hourly labor- $min 7.30hrx4$29.20
Vehicle to deliver$12,000.00
and other misc.
total over $13,000.00

and you want a $20.00 cake like walmart
hahahahah
Your cake priceless

Erin3085 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erin3085 Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 3:06pm
post #58 of 79

Your cakes are so gorgeous. icon_smile.gif It astounds me that your BC is so smooth...that's my biggest headache!

I don't sell my cakes, I just have ppl pay for ingredients, and I really only do cakes for friends and family anyway. I had a friend ask me recently to do her mom's bday cake next weekend. She always goes on and on about how pretty she thinks my cakes are (really, I'm a total beginner and she thinks that because she doesn't know anyone else who makes cakes. icon_razz.gif ) Anyway, she wanted a 2-tier similar to the yellow one I have in my pictures. 8/10, red velvet with cream cheese icing and some candy clay flowers as a border. I told her it would cost roughly $30. Her response? "Oh ok...well let me make sure my grandma wasn't making one first..." Haven't heard from her since!

I ramble, sorry. LOL. I feel you though. It takes me an entire day to do a cake like that, because I am slower than Christmas, and I get seriously offended when someone has that reaction to my price AT COST. icon_rolleyes.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 3:06pm
post #59 of 79

Image Welcome mommafixit!

If you aren't ready to make cakes, we're glad you're ready to talk about them... we love discussing cakes. and cookies. and cupcakes. and fondant figures. and ... well, I guess we just like to talk. LOL

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 3:33pm
post #60 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeythings1961

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna46

I agree that this is the best way to handle the situation. Answer their ignorance with cake education and as much kindness as you can muster! Some folks just won't "get it" and some can't or won't pay for a handcrafted cake, even though they appreciate the fine quality.

After all, do CCers pay top dollar for everything they buy? Do they buy only the finest restaurant dinners, order custom Italian shoes, and live in houses with hand carved woodwork? Of course not!! We can't all afford the best of everything, even though we admire the artistry of fine work.

Michael, your cakes are wonderful. If you do go into business, I wish you great success!!! There are people out there who love to treat themselves and their guests to beautiful, delicious cakes!!! icon_smile.gif

Cake muggles are probably not being rude intentionally in most cases, they simply have absolutely NO IDEA what is involved in custom cakes. Think back to when you were a beginner like I am right now; after 6 months it is still astonishing how much the tools and ingredients cost, even bought with 40% coupons and on sale at the grocery store. After my 1st Wilton class, I would linger in front of grocery store cake counters and was in awe of their marvelous creations. Now, of course, I can do much better than grocery store cakes, but only after investing about $2,500 in tools, classes, videos, ingredients, storage, etc. (and hundreds of hours of time). Neither my family nor I could ever afford to buy custom cakes like I can now create. And Im still a rank amateur compared to you guys!
Be proud of your work, I am; but remember that cake muggles have to be educated gently.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%