Super Market Cake Buyers Kill Me!!!

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 4 Feb 2013 , 12:29am by Annabakescakes

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 3:23pm
post #1 of 79

Hi Cakers!!

I just wanted to rant for a minute.

I made a couple cakes this past weekend. At both parties I had someone ask me how much would I sell one of my cakes for. Well, I told them that right now I cannot sell them because I do not have my own separate kitchen. However, I did tell them that when I get to that point to sell, these cakes would run anywhere from $60.00 - $70.00 each.

OMG!! You would have thought I told something horrifying by their expressions. BOTH of them said something along the lines about not paying any more than 25.00 for a cake?

Are you kidding me!!!! It cost me about 20-25 dollars just to make it. Someone else at one of the parties said jokingly Oh I saw that same cake at Wal-mart. Yea Right I thought to myself.

I am posting the two cakes. Do you think that the 60-70 dollar range is way off? I live in Metro Atlanta. Someday I do plan on starting to sell cakes. I figured that the $2.50 range per serving was reasonable. Both cakes are 10 WASC cakes. One had Bavarian cream filling.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1789424.html
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1789413.html

Sorry for the rant!

Michael

78 replies
kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 3:31pm
post #2 of 79

First of all your work is flawless.

I honestly have begun to think most people cannot discern between a well made cake and a piece of crapola grocery store cake. Honestly--I really don't think they can. I've seen people ooohhh and ahhhh over the crappiest crapola cake and I stand there and look at how poorly it's decorated, cake showing through, plastic figures on it---need I go on?

Apparently it takes a special person to appreciate a truly well made cake. Long ago I started using the term "Wal-Mart Mentality" I define that as being that "it's gotta be the cheapest for me to buy it".

I've been to functions a WM cake is served and people toss cake in the trash with just a bite or two taken out of it and think nothing of it.

I've been to functions where one of my cakes has been served and they're licking the plate clean and going back to see if there is more.

If they want to talk about expensive, they should take a look at what they're throwing away.

Chin up, it's not personal, it's not a slam or an insult, it's pure ignorance.

Mikel79 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 3:34pm
post #3 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaslaura

First of all your work is flawless.

I honestly have begun to think most people cannot discern between a well made cake and a piece of crapola grocery store cake. Honestly--I really don't think they can. I've seen people ooohhh and ahhhh over the crappiest crapola cake and I stand there and look at how poorly it's decorated, cake showing through, plastic figures on it---need I go on?

Apparently it takes a special person to appreciate a truly well made cake. Long ago I started using the term "Wal-Mart Mentality" I define that as being that "it's gotta be the cheapest for me to buy it".

I've been to functions a WM cake is served and people toss cake in the trash with just a bite or two taken out of it and think nothing of it.

I've been to functions where one of my cakes has been served and they're licking the plate clean and going back to see if there is more.

If they want to talk about expensive, they should take a look at what they're throwing away.

Chin up, it's not personal, it's not a slam or an insult, it's pure ignorance.

Well Said!! I appreciate the kind words!

Michael
icon_biggrin.gif

mrswendel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrswendel Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 3:36pm
post #4 of 79

If they can find one of those cakes for $25 they are getting one heck of a deal!!! 10" round serves 38 (industry 1x2x4) x $2.50/serving = $95 plus I would charge for the edible image on top of that price (I don't have my own printer for them). Even for $60-$70, they are still getting a deal. No worries...your cakes are beautiful...you just need to find the right client that understands you get what you pay for! icon_biggrin.gif

BREN28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BREN28 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 3:41pm
post #5 of 79

NO WAY!! you put too much work into those cake's for them to be sold so cheap. $25 !?? NO WAY!

Maurita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maurita Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 3:49pm
post #6 of 79

Don't be discouraged or think badly of anyone else. You're cakes are great and you're pricing seems to be right on. Your images are so perfect that people may be comparing them to store bought plastic peices and not considering the fact that they are hand made and edible (I assume).
Hang in there. I have learned quickly that there are those more than willing to pay for excellent custom cakes, and there are those who never will see the point- 'It's just going to get eaten' attitude.
Just build your client list from the first group- and they're out there, and you'll be very successful.

VentureSister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VentureSister Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 3:54pm
post #7 of 79

Don't let those crack-heads bother you. Your work is great. I was recently at a wedding where they had bought a cheap cake and you could tell. I was embarassed for them.

Mikel79 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 3:54pm
post #8 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurita

Don't be discouraged or think badly of anyone else. You're cakes are great and you're pricing seems to be right on. Your images are so perfect that people may be comparing them to store bought plastic peices and not considering the fact that they are hand made and edible (I assume).
Hang in there. I have learned quickly that there are those more than willing to pay for excellent custom cakes, and there are those who never will see the point- 'It's just going to get eaten' attitude.
Just build your client list from the first group- and they're out there, and you'll be very successful.

Thank you! Yes, the images are edible. I have a edible printer. Love it!!

mpetty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpetty Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 3:55pm
post #9 of 79

No doubt about it, your cakes are gorgeous! I sometimes think the el-cheapo mentality of so many folks comes from the fact that anyone can easily pick up a cake mix and can of frosting off a grocery store shelf and bake/frost a cake themselves. I really wonder if they figure since that since it's so easy for them to dump something into a 9x13 pan and frost the top (hump included!), why should they pay a lot for someone else to "do the same thing?" Cake muggles indeed!

Add to that the fact that grocery store bakeries that charge so little for their cakes, and I think you get the mentality cemented in place for so many people.

I agree with the other posters - you need to find the clientele that understands the value of your artistry, and let the others enjoy their purple and orange shells!

Mikel79 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 3:56pm
post #10 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrswendel

If they can find one of those cakes for $25 they are getting one heck of a deal!!! 10" round serves 38 (industry 1x2x4) x $2.50/serving = $95 plus I would charge for the edible image on top of that price (I don't have my own printer for them). Even for $60-$70, they are still getting a deal. No worries...your cakes are beautiful...you just need to find the right client that understands you get what you pay for! icon_biggrin.gif

mrswendell....

I appreciate the feedback. I thought 10" cakes serve 28 people? Where did you find 38 servings?

Thanks
=)

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 4:02pm
post #11 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel79

Hi Cakers!!

I just wanted to rant for a minute.

I made a couple cakes this past weekend. At both parties I had someone ask me how much would I sell one of my cakes for. Well, I told them that right now I cannot sell them because I do not have my own separate kitchen. However, I did tell them that when I get to that point to sell, these cakes would run anywhere from $60.00 - $70.00 each.

OMG!! You would have thought I told something horrifying by their expressions. BOTH of them said something along the lines about not paying any more than 25.00 for a cake?

Are you kidding me!!!! It cost me about 20-25 dollars just to make it. Someone else at one of the parties said jokingly Oh I saw that same cake at Wal-mart. ...in other words they can't afford you thumbs_up.gif
Next time someone says that out loud to you - just turn (with happy smile on face) and say ..."i understand, you just wish you could afford me oneday"...show another happy smile - excuse yourself from said person, turn on left heel and walk away with head held high. thumbs_up.gif
Some people think that by putting you and your creations down - it actually hides their ignorance - but it doesn't - and don't let it.

Just looked at those two links - beautiful sharp work - if you are capable of that gorgeous work then you are capable of stopping their poor excuse of a comment in their tracks - thumbs_up.gificon_smile.gif
- the Yea Right I thought to myself.

I am posting the two cakes. Do you think that the 60-70 dollar range is way off? LOL - i live in Australia and even with the dollar convertion you would be paying 100.00+ for each if those - truely.

If your really wish to go into business one day - then you have to stand up for your cakes - and don't allow others to compare you and your work to some cheap store bought knock off - stand tall and show your pride - it might take a bit of gumpton - but if you believe in yourself - you are half way there -
Wishing you a successful future - icon_smile.gif

Bluehue.

I live in Metro Atlanta. Someday I do plan on starting to sell cakes. I figured that the $2.50 range per serving was reasonable. Both cakes are 10 WASC cakes. One had Bavarian cream filling.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1789424.html
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1789413.html

Sorry for the rant!...
Don't be - Better telling it here than getting high blood pressure. icon_wink.gif

Michael

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 4:06pm
post #12 of 79

Michael,
Your cakes are so detailed and flawless that they are certainly worth every penny that you may someday charge for them.

Back in early summer, the local community ed teacher asked me to do a basic cake class for her. I had six women and one teenager. When I asked them why they were interested in learning, one said, "because I'm tired of paying $25 or $30 for a cake; that's ridiculous!" My response was, "When you find out how much work, time, and ingredients actually go into a cake, you might be glad to find someone who'll make you one for that price."
By the end of the two-hour class, she was singing a different tune. Just imagine if she actually had to make the cake, the buttercream, buy the fondant, etc!

Mikel79 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 4:07pm
post #13 of 79

bluehue....

thumbs_up.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

Thank you!!!

You are right about having to start saying something! Next time I don't think I will keep my mouth closed. Say it with a smile!!!

Thanks,
Michael

mrswendel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrswendel Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 4:13pm
post #14 of 79

I use the Wilton chart (although there are others out there). According to it, 10" round gives you 28 party servings (1.5x2x4) or 38 wedding servings (1x2x4).

Mikel79 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 4:16pm
post #15 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrswendel

I use the Wilton chart (although there are others out there). According to it, 10" round gives you 28 party servings (1.5x2x4) or 38 wedding servings (1x2x4).

Gotcha!

Thanks thumbs_up.gif

KristyDi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyDi Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 4:19pm
post #16 of 79

I'm also in the Metro ATL area. I think it depends a little which part of the metro area you're talking about. Up on the northside (Alphretta, John's Creek etc), inside the perimeter and maybe in the Fayetteville, Peachtree City you're going to be able to ask higher prices. But anywhere those cakes are definitely worth more the $25.

I'm on the west side, Douglasville area, and I'm pretty sure you could get $60-$70, but you'd have a limited clientele. The economy around here has hit people hard. A lot of my friends just don't have that much to spend on luxuries like awesome cakes. So they either make a cake themselves or settle for a grocery store cake. In fact I know of 2 great little bakeries around here that have closed in the last year.

Actually, the reason I'm here is that my brother and SIL just got married and couldn't afford a custom cake, but didn't want to settle for a grocery store cake so they were going to skip the cake altogether. So I offered to make it and found this place doing research.

Bennie58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bennie58 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 4:20pm
post #17 of 79

I've been dabling in selling cakes here and there - where can I find a pricing list. Pricing my cakes is my downfall - I pretty much just charge for the cost of the ingredients and any extras that I put on my cakes - so I am definitely under pricing. I'm okay with this for now since I'm just beginning to sell them.

The second thing:
what is the best image printer AND fondant cutter out there to buy

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 4:22pm
post #18 of 79

thumbs_up.gificon_smile.gif

Bluehue.

Mikel79 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 4:23pm
post #19 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennie58

I've been dabling in selling cakes here and there - where can I find a pricing list. Pricing my cakes is my downfall - I pretty much just charge for the cost of the ingredients and any extras that I put on my cakes - so I am definitely under pricing. I'm okay with this for now since I'm just beginning to sell them.

The second thing:
what is the best image printer AND fondant cutter out there to buy

IMO....The Canon Brand is the best to buy. I purchased my Canon IP4700 from Amazon.com.

Icingimages is a great place to find inks and frosting sheets. They have there own fourm on this site!

HTH
Michael

Mikel79 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 6:55pm
post #20 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by VentureSister

Don't let those crack-heads bother you. Your work is great. I was recently at a wedding where they had bought a cheap cake and you could tell. I was embarassed for them.

I love the "Crack-Head" Term!! LMAO!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

nanceann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanceann Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 8:02pm
post #21 of 79

I agree with everyone, you do beautiful work! I used to quilt, and knit, and machine embroider. The problem is so many people are used to mass marketed items, from linens to clothing to food, it's hard to find people to appreciate hand crafted items. Don't sell yourself and your talents short. It is also like going to McDonald's or Golden Corral, vs a local good quality restaurant. We all know you get what you pay for!

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 8:32pm
post #22 of 79

woah, those two are RAD!

a lady cornered me in Michaels (no it didn't remind me b/c of your name icon_wink.gif) and ask if I knew of local cakeries...I told her 3, the last one she knew and said, oh yeah I went to them but they wanted $194 for a wedding cake...I tried to kindly explain to her all that goes into it.......some people just DON"T get it...buncha crazies icon_wink.gif

Mikel79 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 8:45pm
post #23 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by tavyheather

woah, those two are RAD!

a lady cornered me in Michaels (no it didn't remind me b/c of your name icon_wink.gif) and ask if I knew of local cakeries...I told her 3, the last one she knew and said, oh yeah I went to them but they wanted $194 for a wedding cake...I tried to kindly explain to her all that goes into it.......some people just DON"T get it...buncha crazies icon_wink.gif

It seems like it is just us Cakers that get it!!

Michael
icon_biggrin.gif

VentureSister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VentureSister Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 10:23pm
post #24 of 79

The Walmart mentality kills me. It isn't people that are artsy. The arsty ones know from the time and energy they put into their work. It is frustrating when people just don't get it.
One of the CC's has a signature that I love. "Good cake isn't cheap, and cheap cake isn't good."

Mikel79 Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 12:27am
post #25 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by VentureSister

The Walmart mentality kills me. It isn't people that are artsy. The arsty ones know from the time and energy they put into their work. It is frustrating when people just don't get it.
One of the CC's has a signature that I love. "Good cake isn't cheap, and cheap cake isn't good."

Love the quote!!! I think this is going to be my new signature. Please let me know who said this so I can give credit!!!! =)

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 1:34am
post #26 of 79

I second Kansaslaura..Your cakes are Awesome....I can't speak for you in the US but here in Calgary which is a large city..1 million...Pastry prices have gotten outrageous at the grocery stores in the last 7 years....I have had to raise my prices to reflect the flour,sugar,shortening,baking powder.It has jumped about 50%...I was just looking today at a major grocery store chain and their pastries are very expensive and they aren't that great either...2 eclairs were $4.00....a single layer 1/4 slab is $24.99..and so on....People have no clue what good quality tastes like or costs.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 2:14am
post #27 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaslaura

How insightful a statement is that? I don't think I've heard this said better.

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 2:20am
post #28 of 79

I just wanted to say, that your cakes are flawlessly done, really beautiful. And honestly if they can't tell the difference between what you have done and WM you don't need them as clients!

I was a hairdresser, and I can tell you, you just have to charge what you are worth and the right people will find you.

adventuregal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adventuregal Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 2:27am
post #29 of 79

I gotta chime in-because I <3 my fellow cakers and I share in your frustrations. Firstly, you deserve what you are planning to charge. I don't know how in the heck these grocery stores charge so little. I was at Top Foods last night and their dozen of cupcakes was 6.99. I charge 2.25 for a basic cupcake and only give a small discount if someone buys a dozen. These grocery stores make me THINK I am charging too much (and I feel bad when I get the sticker shock expression) BUT people just need to realize the quality and care they are getting from us far exceeds anything a grocery store could offer. Make sure to tell everyone why yours cost more i.e premium ingredients, hand crafted detail, exotic fruit blends, customized wrappers, delivery, and your hourly pay. Plus its my thinking that after someone taste mine and see my service they are happy to pay what I charge icon_smile.gif
Good luck with the sticker shocks <3

thatslifeca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thatslifeca Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 2:27am
post #30 of 79

I must agree with everyone else, your cakes are beautifully done. If you ever want to move, come to Canada, cause those cakes will cost you well over a $100. Keep your head up and don't let those quacks who think they saw your cake in walmart or where ever for $25. My big B____ they did!!!!! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif Keep up the great work and make your dream come true and start selling.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%