Transporting Fondant Covered Cake 7 Hours *help*

Decorating By boatander Updated 3 Sep 2010 , 3:52pm by emrldsky

boatander Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 3:07pm
post #1 of 4

Me and my sister are making a 3 tiered fondant covered cake for my Grandma's 85th Birthday. My sister is going to be transporting it in her car. It is a 7 HOUR Trip!!! What is the best way to do this? We were going to stack the 2 bottom tiers and put the 3rd tier on on-site. Each would have it's own box. Just really worried that it won't make it. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Also, 2 of the cakes are carrot cake w/cc frosting, and the other is white cake with BC. All covered in fondant. Are those OK to transport w/o some sort of refrigeration? Worried about the Carrot cake having the CC spoiling. Hints, suggestions? thanks.

3 replies
BosCakes Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 3:26pm
post #2 of 4

Since the cakes are covered in fondant, they should be fine without refrigeration. Make sure they are out of direct sunlight, and crank the A/C. As long as you allowed the cakes to settle before covering in fondant and you have proper support, your plan sounds fine. If you're really nervous, just don't stack until you arrive.

DefyGravity Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 3:49pm
post #3 of 4

Wear a sweater and crank the AC. I probably wouldn't stack until you get there, only because I don't trust other people on the road, especially on the highway.

Good luck and happy birthday to your grandma!!

emrldsky Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 3:52pm
post #4 of 4

I really really recommend looking into the SPS (single plate system) for stacking, even if it's just the bottom two tiers.

I did this just this past May, but I didn't stack any of the tiers, and it was a 10 hour drive. It arrived just fine and I was able to stack there. Luckily I did my research and made my life easier for decorating by having all the apple blossoms wired together and ready to be placed on the cake once it was stacked.

Whatever you can do ahead of time, go for it. icon_smile.gif I used satin ribbon instead of fondant, brought a kit of decorating supplies I would need for the flowers and such, and made sure I had a kitchen to work in.

Good luck!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%