Mirror Cake

Decorating By Msjckson Updated 13 Sep 2010 , 9:17pm by auntginn

Msjckson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Msjckson Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 2:56pm
post #1 of 10

Hello cake family icon_biggrin.gif ,

I have been asked to make several small cakes (feeds 8-10) for a church conference. She said that the cakes should look like a mirror and the people should be able to see their image. I have no idea where to start with this one. I did some research on the internet and found some cakes made with gelatin they were called mirror cakes. But, I don't think that's what she was talking about. She said the cakes should blend in as center pieces.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The conference isn't until April 2011 so I have time to research icon_confused.gif

-Maria

9 replies
Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 3:33pm
post #2 of 10

I had no idea as to what your Customer was asking - so i had to go google - and no matter what i typed re a *mirror cake* this is what came up...
http://www.google.com.au/images?hl=en&source=imghp&biw=1276&bih=774&q=mirror+cakes&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Amazing - i guess what your customer means by *seeing your face in it* is the shiney strawberry puree and geletin top of the cake -
Looks lovely (in some of the photos)

I scrolled down a few lines and found this one - where she atually speaks of all the different eliments making up th cake and has a link to the recipe.. thumbs_up.gif
http://cookbookqueen.blogspot.com/2007_07_01_archive.html

Hope these links are of some help to you...
Bluehue. icon_smile.gif

leslieannec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leslieannec Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 4:03pm
post #3 of 10

Can you ask her to sketch what she is looking for? I can't think of a way to do that in an edible way. Maybe she doesn't know that there are some limitations on what you can do with cake? Did she see it somewhere? Maybe she can send you a link?

Cohaja12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cohaja12 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 4:32pm
post #4 of 10

Could you use edible silver? Not sure if it would have the clear reflection they're looking for, but it might work

leslieannec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leslieannec Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 4:35pm
post #5 of 10

I was going to suggest that, but edible silver isn't really technically edible. If you covered fondant in "edible" silver, then poured isomalt over it, it could work, but you would need to be very careful that the isomalt is at a cooler temp so it doesn't boil the silver right off the fondant. No idea if it would work, and you probably would not want to eat the mirror (isomalt, silver and fondant - yuck!).

bakingpw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingpw Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 6:28pm
post #6 of 10

I think she must be referring to a mirror glaze, which is generally used on the top of cakes and is very shiny when set.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 1:19am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehue

I had no idea as to what your Customer was asking - so i had to go google - and no matter what i typed re a *mirror cake* this is what came up...
http://www.google.com.au/images?hl=en&source=imghp&biw=1276&bih=774&q=mirror+cakes&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Amazing - i guess what your customer means by *seeing your face in it* is the shiney strawberry puree and geletin top of the cake -
Looks lovely (in some of the photos)

I scrolled down a few lines and found this one - where she atually speaks of all the different eliments making up th cake and has a link to the recipe.. thumbs_up.gif
http://cookbookqueen.blogspot.com/2007_07_01_archive.html

Hope these links are of some help to you...
Bluehue. icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the great link blue!! icon_biggrin.gif

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 3:53am
post #8 of 10

Your welcome - thumbs_up.gif
I had never heard of such a thing - icon_confused.gif
They look great when smooth and *see your face in them*

Google is my best friend - lollllllllllllllll

Bluehue.

Msjckson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Msjckson Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 8:46pm
post #9 of 10

Thanks everyone for your responses!

Bluehue, links you posted were all I could find as well. I finally spoke to her a few days ago and she said she would look for something else, she said she did some researching as well. So for now, we're looking at doing some sort of center piece cake. yay!

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 9:17pm
post #10 of 10

Wow!! those look so... delish. Want to try them. Can I ask somebody, what is a kirsch?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%