How Do I Get Royal Icing Deep Black And True Red?

Decorating By MessMaker Updated 3 Sep 2010 , 8:26pm by MessMaker

MessMaker Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 2:20pm
post #1 of 6

How do I get royal icing deep black and true red?

I used regular Wilton Icing coloring and got a real light red and darkgreyish purple. icon_surprised.gif

5 replies
redpanda Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 3:57pm
post #2 of 6

If you can, try a product like Americolor. Their Super Red and Super Black have worked wonders for me.

leslieannec Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 3:57pm
post #3 of 6

Ditto! Their colors are fabulous!

TrixieTreats Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 4:05pm
post #4 of 6

Are you using a royal icing with cream of tartar? I noticed just recently that when trying to color deeper colors and using my usual royal recipe (which included cream of tartar) I couldn't get a good even color, it looked almost chalky. I made a batch of a different recipe without the cream of tartar and it took the color much better. Not sure if this is a valid reason, or if I was just having a bad royal icing day and it was a coincidence...

beenie51 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 4:26pm
post #5 of 6

I have found with butter cream for black I use brown first and then add the black and it takes less color. I have also used a deep orange then added the red with the same results. Not sure how this would work with the royal to make red.

MessMaker Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 8:26pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenie51

I have found with butter cream for black I use brown first and then add the black and it takes less color. I have also used a deep orange then added the red with the same results. Not sure how this would work with the royal to make red.

Thanks I will try that...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%