Sharp Corners On Fondant Cakes

Decorating By pag41989 Updated 3 Sep 2010 , 2:29pm by pag41989

pag41989 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pag41989 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 2:10pm
post #1 of 3

How do you get those amazing sharp edges on round and square cakes that are covered in fondant? Every time I cover my cakes, the edges end up being rounded and partially buldged. Any tips? Thanks!

2 replies
ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 2:24pm
post #2 of 3

If I need to hold really sharp corners (for example, a gift box cake or a 3D table...) I cover the cake with chocolate ganache before I apply the fondant. When the ganace sets, you level it with a hot knife and can form absolutely square, straight edges that will hold their shape under the weight of the fondant.

If you're using buttercream, frost the top of the cake first, smooth; then the sides and smooth. This will leave you with "high" edges on the sides. Then, moving from the outside of the cake to the inside, carefully sweep your scraper toward an imaginary point an inch or so above the center of the top of the cake to pull off the extra icing on the edges. By doing this you will avoid have "extra" icing on the rim of the cake that will cause a ridge or ripple under the weight of the fondant. There are some good instructional videos available with the professional decorators showing how to do this and there are tutorials available on Youtube, too. Edna has a good one on Youtube. Practice makes perfect! icon_smile.gif

pag41989 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pag41989 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 2:29pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks I will have to look up Edna's tutorial. I must have missed it the other day when I was viewing her page. I just subscribed to her youtube videos a few days ago. Her tutorials are amazing!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%