High Ratio Shortening

Decorating By cakemaker2 Updated 3 Sep 2010 , 2:15pm by karenm0712

cakemaker2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemaker2 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 1:44pm
post #1 of 3

I understand Sweetex is the best high ratio shortening, but are there less expensive alternatives? I live in San Antonio, Texas, on a limited income, but would very much like to make a high quality product. Thanks!

2 replies
ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 1:59pm
post #2 of 3

Most of the store-brand shortenings still contain saturated fats. I tried using them instead of Crisco but, unfortunately, didn't like the taste. I use a different brand that my local decorating supply store carries (i.e. not Sweetex.) I use a 50/50 ratio of it and Crisco in my icings. I think it tastes better and reduces the cost somewhat. You can add the high ratio fat to your icing by adding Dream Whip mix to your recipe. There are some great recipes on this site that do that (using just Crisco as the shortening.)

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 2:15pm
post #3 of 3

I used to get the high ratio shortening that Country Kitchen makes, but ran out and was in another part of town where their local cake store offered Alpine and it is my new favorite!! I am an exclusive Indydebi icing user and the difference Alpine made was AMAZING!!!!! Alpine is cheaper too. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%