Buttermilk, Spoiled?

Decorating By TabbieCakes Updated 3 Sep 2010 , 4:14pm by TexasSugar

TabbieCakes Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 1:06pm
post #1 of 11

Since I dont drink buttermilk, only bake with it, I'm not sure how to tell when its spoiled. Does anyone know what it tastes, looks, smells like when it's gone bad? And how long it usually lasts in a very cold fridge? I tasted a little . . . Kinda like milk with lemon juice in it. No lumps. No bad smell I think, but then the whole nature of the product has a kind of weird quality! Help.

10 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 1:08pm
post #2 of 11

It usually has an expiration date. I always just go by that. It's thick and tastes a little sour.

cakes47 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 1:17pm
post #3 of 11

Does anyone know if you can use ''soy'' milk to make buttermilk??

Coral3 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 1:31pm
post #4 of 11

I'd go by the expiration date. I actually never buy buttermilk myself anymore because I never used it up in time so I'd end up wasting a lot. Now I just mix together half plain(unflavoured) full-fat yoghurt & half milk and use that instead - works just as well in all my recipes.

TabbieCakes Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 2:54pm
post #5 of 11

Thanks everyone! Love my CC Family. You're always there to help out icon_smile.gif

kansaslaura Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 3:16pm
post #6 of 11

Just a couple of FYIs for next time. Buttermilk freezes fine. I measure it into small zip bags in the amount I need for my recipe and just pull them out when I want to bake.

There is powdered buttermilk and I keep it on the shelf as well. Look by the regular powdered milk and baking supplies. It's a great go-to when you're out of fresh or frozen buttermilk.

ClassyCat Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 3:21pm
post #7 of 11

How much of a shelf life does the powedered buttermilk have once opened? I just purchased some yesterday because I thought it might be easier than worrying about real buttermilk going bad.

As for the OP's question, I'm curious as well. I used real buttermilk in 'back to school' cake over the weekend, and now am wondering how long the unused buttermilk will last in the fridge. Good to know it can be frozen, that's another option.

TabbieCakes Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 3:29pm
post #8 of 11

Frozen! Aha! Fantastic thumbs_up.gif I'm always asking myself . . . now WHY didn't I think of that! And portioning it out first. Yes! Once again . . . CCers to the rescue!

TexasSugar Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 3:33pm
post #9 of 11

I keep my powder buttermilk in the fridge and I believe it has a time frame on the package, but I'm not postive.

If the buttermilk is labeled with a sell by date then I will use it up to a week after the date.

If it is still smooth, with no lumps or chucks it is usually still fine.

kansaslaura Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 3:36pm
post #10 of 11

Sugar, I'm with you on all counts. I don't pay attention to the powder, when I've used it up it's time to buy more!

And buttermilk is forgiving, I agree 1 week is not too far to push it. Besides, if everyone would chill on the dates on milk, it's a sell by date, not a consume by date. If you keep it cold it should last 7 days past. UNLESS--you've bought it at Wal-Mart. I quit buying anything refrigerated/frozen from them long ago because of how quickly it spoiled, often times days before the date on the pkg.

Somewhere down the line they're not handling it properly.

TexasSugar Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 4:14pm
post #11 of 11

I like the liquid buttermilk over powder in a few of the things I do, so if I am making something like pancakes then I'll buy the liquid.

Milk I am more picky on, I don't like the taste of milk after it has been opened for a days, so I usually toss it before the date. But buttermilk, taste wise doesn't change for me.

With sour cream, for us, it is okay until it molds. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%