How Do I Make This Cake??

Decorating By Spectra Updated 3 Sep 2010 , 2:41pm by Spectra

Spectra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spectra Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 12:19am
post #1 of 15

My good friend wants this cake for her son... I said I'd do one as my gift to him.... but this is what she sent that he picked out, and I have no idea how to do it. Just straight up carving? Any advice would be appreciated.

14 replies
jmr531 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmr531 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 12:21am
post #2 of 15

where is the picture?

Spectra Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 12:22am
post #3 of 15

Doh, didn't attach. Here is the web address:
http://safa.tv/446,15-awesome-super-mario-cakes-for-game-fans,15.html

awatterson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awatterson Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 12:32am
post #4 of 15

The hat looks like it could be RKT? Just my opinion. Looks like a lot of carving.

Spectra Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 12:34am
post #5 of 15

Yeah, I think I'm going to tell her I can't do it. I am definitely not that skilled. The only 3-d cake I've done is a dino one and that took 5 hours to just star tip. lol! Eek! I'll tell her I'll to a normal cake, no 3-d.... This one just looks to stressful.

awatterson Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 12:39am
post #6 of 15

Your cakes look pretty good to me. I know what you mean about carving. I would rather carve my eyes out with a dull blade than carve a cake. I would ask her if you could maybe make some of those figures for the top of the cake.

Spectra Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 12:42am
post #7 of 15

Thanks for the compliment! Yeah I just sent her an e-mail explaining and offered another alternative that I know I CAN do. I'd hate to attempt something like that and have it turn into a disaster. Thanks for your help! icon_smile.gif

awatterson Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 12:45am
post #8 of 15

You are very welcome. A free cake is not worth all of that stress!

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 5:08am
post #9 of 15

I looked at your cakes and I, too, think you are underestimating your skills! The key to carving is a dense, sturdy cake (I use WASC a lot) and not too sharp a knife (I am lethal with a sharp knife) . My fave knife is a regular steak knife. And carve semi frozen, taking a little off at a time. But if it seems too much, then maybe a FBCT? You could find a picture of that - whatever it is...Good luck whatever you decide to do!

Spectra Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 12:15pm
post #10 of 15

Thank you for your compliment! I do appreciate it. I just would have no idea where to start on a cake like that. Apparently it's "Toad" from Super Mario. I too use WASC.

Jen80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jen80 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 12:49pm
post #11 of 15

I'm all for only doing what you're comfortable with, but just thought I'd post this:

I looked at your cakes too and you do have the skills to do this, although a round or square with a figurine or two on the top would be much easier.

Spectra Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 1:59pm
post #12 of 15

Ohh now that I can see how to do it I have something to think about! Thank you for that! icon_smile.gif

ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 2:11pm
post #13 of 15

The cake in the photo looks a little lumpy, like it might be RKT. Here are a couple of thoughts. Use a sharp serrated knife to carve the cake, just doing a little at a time. It's kind of like using your knife as an artist's paint brush :>) When you get it to where you want, cover the whole cake or section with chocolate ganache. Let it set, and then smooth it with a hot knife. This will give you a relatively smooth, HARD finish as a foundation for your fondant. The ganache works really well for holding corners and shapes. If you want to "tweak" your shape, you can easily cut through the ganache coating. Just seal it up again with ganache when you're finished.

If you decide to use RKT for any of the parts, cover the part with melted candy melts. I put on couple of layers to completely fill the pores of the RKT part and then smooth out with a hot knife (after it cools and sets.)

I've had really good luck doing 3D stuff using these two techniques. Neither is difficult and you get a really professional look without a lot of work. Good luck! You CAN do it!! thumbs_up.gif

ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 2:16pm
post #14 of 15

One more thought on the recipes.... the "Durable Chocolate Cake" recipe and the "Firm Cake for 3D" recipes on this site are AWESOME for doing this kind of work.... and I always get raves re. how wonderful they taste.

If you cover ganache with fondant, DO NOT wet the ganache before you apply the fondant. I've done this and actually had ugly liquid oozing out from under the cake at the bottom! Yuck! Instead, use a little apricot glaze or piping gel on the ganache to make sure the fondant sticks to it.... since this is just a one layer cake, you might not need anything. But NO water :>)

Spectra Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 2:41pm
post #15 of 15

Thank you for all the tips there! Very helpful.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%