Can This Be Done?

Decorating By jewels710 Updated 2 Sep 2010 , 11:59pm by nonilm

jewels710 Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 11:09pm
post #1 of 9

I have a bride who would like a square cake with the rounded edges (not the typical sharp crisp edges) but she would like it done in Buttercream...can this be done?

All of the pics I look at are either the perfect sharp BC edges or fondant...I am tryin to attach a pic of the look of the edges she wants. (This is not the cake she wants and this pretty cake belongs to someone else (sorry not sure who), but this is the look)...

I feel like I am making more out of this than what it is and rounded edges should be considered a blessing! LOL

8 replies
playingwithsugar Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 11:14pm
post #2 of 9

Sure, it can be done. You can either trim the corners of the cake off to round them, or you can use a little more BC on the corners and shape them.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

jewels710 Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 11:18pm
post #3 of 9

I can get the pic to show up for some reason...I dont want to add to it my pics cuz its not one of my cakes...Ill see if I can do it through a link...

jewels710 Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 11:21pm
post #4 of 9

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1788978

ok...like this pretty cake by hsmomma...without the carved bottom though...but see how the top and side edges are rounded?

nonilm Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 11:32pm
post #5 of 9

I've seen instructions for doing round cakes with edges like this (similar to fondant) with buttercream. The one I saw used a cut neck of a 2 liter bottle as a way to shape and scrape the buttercream at the top edge. I imagine you could make a form to sculpt your icing evenly. I'll see if I can find the instructions somewhere.

nonilm Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 11:34pm
post #6 of 9

Here is the link for round cakes but I think the same thing could work for square cakes.

http://cakecentral.com/articles/71/how-to-create-faux-fondant-the-paper-smoothing-towel-method-viva

JaeRodriguez Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 11:42pm
post #7 of 9

Ahh this is basically the only way I CAN ice my cakes! icon_razz.gif Darn those sharp edges! But yes, it can be done!

jewels710 Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 11:51pm
post #8 of 9

Wow, thanks nonlim...I use the viva method now, but the whole pop bottle thing is a new trick I cant wait to try...I better get busy. The wedding is on four weeks!

HAHA just went back to re read the how to again...the poster referred to the 2litre bottle as their "expensive tool"....so funny but even before I read that I was thinking..."I'm going to have to cut up a soda bottle?!? thats 10 cents, I'm gonna lose my deposit"!!! Man am I cheap! LOL Just had to laugh at myself!

nonilm Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 11:59pm
post #9 of 9

Glad to help! Don't forget to post pics when you're done!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%