Need Icing Alternative To Buttercream

Decorating By jordansmom96 Updated 3 Sep 2010 , 11:40am by leah_s

jordansmom96 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jordansmom96 Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 10:38pm
post #1 of 6

I am creating a 4 tier stacked cake for an anniversary party, but the woman who ordered the cake does not care for buttercream icing. The cake will be fondant covered, but will be sitting outside. Temperatures these days range from 70 to 85 degrees. Does anyone have a non-buttercream recipe that would be okay sitting outside for a few hours? I'm at a loss and would appreciate the help!

5 replies
cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 11:00pm
post #2 of 6

How about covering in ganache first then fondant? I'm not sure how it would hold up in the heat though. Hopefully someone else will make a suggestion.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 11:01pm
post #3 of 6

remember, you are the caker, she is the customer. you educate her! just incase she turns round and doesnt like the other options...
ganache, then fondant
marzipan, then fondant
just fondant - you need a perfect cake for this, usually with two layers
xx

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 7:22am
post #4 of 6

I used ganache under fondant for my cousins outdoor wedding in June and it worked wonderfully. I was told to use ganache under the fondant because it holds up better in the heat. One nice thing about the heat is it softens the ganache just a little making it nice and creamy. It gently melds into the fondant.

Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 11:01am
post #5 of 6

Ganache holds up well in the heat - use it all the time in the Australian summer! I wouldn't recommend white chocolate though as it is not as stable.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 11:40am
post #6 of 6

You can also put on a skim coat of warmed, then strained, apricot preserves.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%