Lorann Oils

Decorating By divadane Updated 7 Sep 2010 , 1:46pm by hsmomma

divadane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divadane Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 8:24pm
post #1 of 9

has anyone used these oils to flavor FROSTING, rather than cake itself?
i can't find raspberry extract anywhere, but acmoore carries these lorann oils......

8 replies
dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 9:41pm
post #2 of 9

Yes, I use them all the time to flavor my buttercream. You need to be very careful about the amount you use. And some of the flavors will color your icing, so be wary of that. The raspberry, for example, will give you a pink color in your icing. I would much rather use some of the oil than use some kind of juice. I don't keep pomagranite juice around, for example, but sometimes I want that flavor in icing.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 9:58pm
post #3 of 9

as the previous poster said be very careful about how much you add at a time. I added a dram to a double batch of buttercream one time and it was so sickly sweet and candy tasting it got thrown out, i probably could have used 1/4-1/2 of the dram and had much better results.

As for the coloring, i have found (and quite by accident) that if you leave the bottles in the sunlight it will turn them clear. I have not had any issues with the flavor being diluted or changing when doing this. i don't know if it shoudl change the flavor or if i just got lucky, but it was a happy mistake i found out.

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 10:02pm
post #4 of 9

leily~
Did it change the quality of the oils...as far as in flavor? Just curious...I have a few bottles of mango that are orangish in color and one that is clear. I wondered if they forgot to add the coloring but maybe it was just left in the sunlight...hmmm...

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 10:25pm
post #5 of 9

hsmomma - i haven't noticed a difference in flavor. But i didn't make two batches of hard candy, it was just off of memory. It didn't taste bad though so if it did change the flavor it didn't much.

fertluv3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fertluv3 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 3:07am
post #6 of 9

I too use the Lorann oils in frosting but for my Raspberry frosting I use the Torani Raspberry syrup in mine for the liquid part of my recipe

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 3:24am
post #7 of 9

don't forget to try LoAnn's emulsions too! i love the Princess Cake & Cookie and Buttery Sweet Dough. just a drop or two gives your frosting some "mystery"!

pag41989 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pag41989 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 2:07pm
post #8 of 9

I have used the Lorann oils in buttercream for cupcakes. I made a double batch of my buttercream so I used an entire dram and it came out delicious. I used the grape flavoring on yellow cake cupcakes for my husband's co workers and from what I hear, everyone raved over them. I plan on using either my cherry or butterscotch flavorings next. icon_biggrin.gif

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 1:46pm
post #9 of 9

leily~
Thanks so much!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%