Decorating By SillyB Updated 3 Sep 2010 , 7:55pm by adventuregal

SillyB Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 5:50pm
post #1 of 8

Hi Everyone. I've been a member of cakecentral for a few months. Today is the day I have finally stopped lurking to become an active member. I did my first fondant cake earlier this week. I have a LONG way to go! It's not perfect, but it's a start. Just thought I'd say Hi. I will be logging in more often asking for tips and whatnot. icon_smile.gif

Tips and suggestions on how I could have improved this cake are wecome. But be gentle please icon_biggrin.gif

7 replies
ninatat Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 8:46pm
post #2 of 8

hi welcome to cc, everyone here are so helpful, you will enjoy the site, your cake looks good, it's a good start, you should have seen my first cake from class ahhhh, and the second wasn't so hot either now that i think of it. lol, but you're on a good start with the fondant. i'm still practicing and practicing with the bc want to get those borders but you really have to practice. i found a lot of help on u-tube be sure and check out edna's videos, watch different videos and choose which work best for you, be sure to join hobby lobby site, michaels, and jo'ann's they send coupons, and michaels takes jo ann's, they will also take more than one of their own coupon as long as it from another paper. some girls will take them all, but i have actually gone out and back in. never shop with out a coupon. it's the rule lol. so glad you found us, and stop lurking jump in

tastyart Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 9:04pm
post #3 of 8

Hello and welcome! I think your first cake is great. I didn't even know what fondant was when I first started decorating.

dchockeyguy Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 9:38pm
post #4 of 8

I think that's a great first time for a cake. You asked for some suggestions, so I'll throw a couple out. One is that you should more even space the dots on the top of the cake. Also, try to get all of the dots on teh top the same size. One way i do that is to use a small cutter (or the end of a tip) and cut out a circle, then make a ball. that way I know I'm using the same amount of fondant for each ball.

ninatat Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 4:25pm
post #5 of 8

hi i had the problem with side buldges, if you let it set, and some people put something with some weight on it, to settle the cake, and i put way to much of a crumb coat and caused lumps.

ninatat Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 4:27pm
post #6 of 8

oh and put you cake that will show case your cake better like the other side of the container it's in.

SillyB Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 4:48pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks everyone icon_smile.gif

adventuregal Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 7:55pm
post #8 of 8

I'm glad we have another participating member to learn from icon_smile.gif definitely should have seen my first cake!!! I made it for my boyfriend, but I wouldn't even let him eat it-I threw it away LOL The fondant was so thick it caved in the whole cake like a brick and my clowns looked drunk hehe I started on cake central a few years ago as a newbie and now I have my own successful cake business-that I credit mostly to this site. You will learn so much more here-I chose to spend all my time here instead of at our community college doing their program and after seeing the students exiting I feel I have a much better grasp on caking-not to mention a bunch of virtual friends I enjoy talking to! icon_smile.gif
As for your first cake-I always like to make a few layers for each tier so that it is nice and tall (better for decorating and you can fit more filling mmm). I usually have to bake twice for each tier. The fondant shows slight bulges, but that is something that just needs more practice-I think you did a great job icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%