Open Lid?

Decorating By Chefperl Updated 12 Sep 2010 , 5:33pm by Chefperl

Chefperl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chefperl Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 3:02pm
post #1 of 6

i always see cakes, either a shoe box or a treasure chest with an open lid. how do you do that? (so it looks like tissue paper or jewels are coming out)

5 replies
BlueBurd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueBurd Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 2:17am
post #2 of 6

I don't know, but I would like to find out, too. I just ordered a DVD from Sharon Zambito called "Boxes and Bows" that includes an open box cake in the tuturoials. Can't wait to get it to solve the mystery!

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 4:39pm
post #3 of 6

Hi, you can use gumpaste to make the lid. But you need to let it dry properly for at least two days. icon_smile.gif

BlueBurd, Sharon's that particular DVd is fab. I would recommend it to anyone. icon_smile.gif

crystaldelrio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystaldelrio Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 5:06pm
post #4 of 6

i seen the cake girls and buddy do this and it looks like they have the top on sturdy cake board and use dowl rods to hold it open and to keep back from sinking in. never tried it my self but it looks fun

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 2:49pm
post #5 of 6

In my treasure chest cake, the lid was cake on a cardboard cake board, with RTK on top, carved to the shape of the lid. There were 3 set of dowels holding up the lid. At the back of the cake, the dowels were slightly above the level of the cake, 3 dowels across the back. In the middle of the cake, the 3 dowels were about 3/4 inch above the level of the cake. At the front they were about an 1 1/2 inches above the level of the cake. When the cake was delivered, I draped the beads and then carefully placed the lid on the cake. Then we added more "treasure".
For the stacked gift/hat box cake I made, I made the lid of the hat box out of styrofoam sitting on a cake board, then covered it all in black fondant. I basically did the same with the dowels, except since it was just a 6 inch cake, I put a dowel at the back, then 2 dowels mid-cake, with the dowel about an inch above the cake. Then there was a dowel in the front center, about 2 inches above the cake. The gumpaste tissue and roses hid the dowel.
I hope that makes sense!

Jodie

Chefperl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chefperl Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 5:33pm
post #6 of 6

thanks jodie. I think i get it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%