Decorating These Cookies And Cutter Question?

Baking By Kaybaby Updated 10 Sep 2010 , 4:18pm by nattycrow

Kaybaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaybaby Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 3:00pm
post #1 of 26

Hi everyone,

I would love to make these cookies for my daughters orchestra. School colors are purple, black and white. What would be the best icing to use to be able to stack? I would love suggestions on decorating, I do not have nearly the talent that is on these boards.

I haven't seen the cutter locally. What size do you all think it is and where is the best online place to buy?

Thank you all so much for the inspirations.

My apologies to the creators of this design, I don't know who(m) to give credit to.

Vonda

Image[/url]

25 replies
letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 3:40pm
post #2 of 26

You have a few options for stackable icing:

1) royal icing
2) glace icing
3) fondant for blue base and then either of the 1st two icings for the details

All three of these will harden enough to be stacked. My preference is glace icing because I think it tastes so much better than royal and it doesn't get as hard. However, I've noticed that I can make more intricate details with the royal. If you use the fondant, it will be much faster to get the base on than having to flood the cookies. (The drying time will be a lot less, too.)

Royal Icing
http://www.wilton.com/recipe/Royal-Icing

Glace Icing
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2119/toba-garretts-glace-icing

Marshmallow Fondant
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/3183/rhondas-ultimate-mmf

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 3:41pm
post #3 of 26

Vonda, here's a tutorial on decorating cookies with royal icing (and she has a link about the cutter at the bottom of it).

http://sweetopia.net/2010/04/how-to-marble-royal-icing/

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 4:11pm
post #4 of 26

there's a great tutorial/article right here on CC, too, by a fabulous decorator - Antonia74. Here's a link to the article.

Antonia74s article
http://www.cakecentral.com/article54-How-To-Bake--Decorate-Cookies.html

here's a thread about icing that might be helpful, too.
icing tips/info
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-588155.html

good luck and have fun!

gingerbreadtogo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingerbreadtogo Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 6:02pm
post #5 of 26

I would guess about a 3" square cutter. If you search square scalloped cookie cutter on google you will get some suppliers. Those are very cute cookies.

imagenthatnj Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 6:06pm
post #6 of 26

You need square flutted cookie/biscuit cutters. Amazon has them and I bought mine at Williams-Sonoma.

Kaybaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaybaby Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 6:38pm
post #7 of 26

Thank you all so much. I'm going to give these a try.

Vonda

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 4:18am
post #8 of 26
Quote:
Quote:

My apologies to the creators of this design, I don't know who(m) to give credit to.

That photo is from Sunflower Baking Company. Heads up that she states very clearly that her images and designs are protected by copyright.

That aside, you have some wonderful information to get you started on cookie-ing in general! thumbs_up.gif Have fun with your designs, but be careful as cookie-ing can be addictive! icon_lol.gif

mandymakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandymakescakes Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 6:33pm
post #9 of 26

I just bought this cutter! It's in Ateco's Double-Sided Square Cutter Set (6 pieces, 1 3/4" to 3 1/2".

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001V5Y2YI/?tag=cakecentral-20

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 6:37pm
post #10 of 26

Oh, that set looks very nice! I have the Ateco five piece graduated set, but had this other set in mind as I liked the look of the spacing better on the one you got. Have fun with those! thumbs_up.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 6:45pm
post #11 of 26

You've got to be kidding, she's claiming that the treble clef is her design? That's ridiculous. And I didn't relaize that you can copyright plaid or a swirly pattern. Oh, that's right, you can't.

Have fun making the cookies, the last time I checked, music notes are all in the public domain, so you don't need to worry about copyright infringement thumbs_up.gif

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 6:55pm
post #12 of 26

I'm not a cookie expert, but I do provide a lot of cookie platters to worthy causes--especially during the holiday season. FWIW, I never actually "stack" my decorated cookies. I stand them on end and line them up in rows, much like Oreos in their package. This is a great way to put them in bakery type boxes. When I deliver them on platters, I still line them up in rows but don't put the cookies so close together. Arranging them this way prevents any cookies from being on the bottom layer! Hope that makes sense.

I'm sure the band will love them. icon_smile.gif

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 7:03pm
post #13 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

You've got to be kidding, she's claiming that the treble clef is her design? That's ridiculous. And I didn't relaize that you can copyright plaid or a swirly pattern. Oh, that's right, you can't.

Have fun making the cookies, the last time I checked, music notes are all in the public domain, so you don't need to worry about copyright infringement thumbs_up.gif

I don't know whose cookies they are, so I can't speak for her. It seems to me that copyrighting a cookie or cake design, like this one for example, is not necessarily a claim to have created each individual component/content from your imagination (in this case, the musical note symbols themselves), but that the person created the design as a whole - the shape of the cookie in combination with the content components (ex. musical notes, plaid, lines, etc.) in those colors on that background in that particular way or artistic design. That's the creation someone would be trying to protect under a copyright.

snowboarder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowboarder Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 7:13pm
post #14 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif !

I wonder if it's possible to copyright the idea that you can copyright things like musical symbols. Because if it is, I wouldn't mind getting on that bandwagon. icon_biggrin.gif

sugarjones Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarjones Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 7:22pm
post #15 of 26

I think the company who did the cookies is only talking about the actual picture as being "protected" (so a person can't display it on their website and claim it as their own).

imagenthatnj Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 7:31pm
post #16 of 26

Agree with sugarjones. It's the photo that you can't take, display it on your website, and promote your cookies with it.

I think you can make the exact same cookies, but take your own picture on a different plate and arranged in a different way and you would still be OK.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 8:05pm
post #17 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

Agree with sugarjones. It's the photo that you can't take, display it on your website, and promote your cookies with it.

I think you can make the exact same cookies, but take your own picture on a different plate and arranged in a different way and you would still be OK.

That makes total sense, since the picture itself isn't the design. I think that the only category anyone would be able to argue a cookie or cake design would fall under would be a "work of visual art". This is the definition of that from the copyright office website, and it doesn't sound like any cookies or cakes would fall into this category based on the fact that we generally don't sign and number the series of decorated cookies. It would certainly be a stretch of logic to argue that you could copyright them. I know that you can't copyright a recipe but you can copyright the specific written description of how to make the recipe, it's tricky:

A work of visual art is

(1) a painting, drawing, print or sculpture, existing in a single copy, in a limited edition of 200 copies or fewer that are signed and consecutively numbered by the author, or, in the case of a sculpture, in multiple cast, carved, or fabricated sculptures of 200 or fewer that are consecutively numbered by the author and bear the signature or other identifying mark of the author; or

(2) a still photographic image produced for exhibition purposes only, existing in a single copy that is signed by the author, or in a limited edition of 200 copies or fewer that are signed and consecutively numbered by the author.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 9:35pm
post #18 of 26

very interesting discussion. I would imagine trying to copyright the cookie would be difficult, then again some places hand out copyrights like water, could be possible. Asinine, but possible. Your probably correct that it's just for the picture usage. The scalloped square is a design that's been around a loooong time in the pastry world and music notes well, those have been around even longer. icon_wink.gif

Those will be cute cookies to make for your daughters class. Happy baking. icon_biggrin.gif

cakeville82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeville82 Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 10:15pm
post #19 of 26

I copyrighted my fingerprints, I wanted to make sure no one else got the same ones, that would be sooo embarrassing the next time I cashed a check.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 10:17pm
post #20 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeville82

I copyrighted my fingerprints, I wanted to make sure no one else got the same ones, that would be sooo embarrassing the next time I cashed a check.

thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

imagenthatnj Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 10:27pm
post #21 of 26

cakeville, you're hilarious.

BlueBurd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueBurd Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 10:47pm
post #22 of 26
Quote:

Too funny! ROFL

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 11:41pm
post #23 of 26

My stuff seldom looks anything like the original inspiration, anyway.

I started with a picture of a cute, smiling curly blue-haired girl clown... this is the final design.

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 2:47am
post #24 of 26

Hasn't Hudsucker claimed a copyright on the circle yet? icon_biggrin.gif

sugarjones Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarjones Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 1:47pm
post #25 of 26

I seem to recall someone on CC talking about Collette Peters trying to copyright the topsy turvy design and was declined. Can you imagine having to pay to make a crooked cake?! Ridiculous! icon_smile.gif I suppose if you were sued you could just say it was an accident! haha

nattycrow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nattycrow Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 4:18pm
post #26 of 26
Quote:

Very funny icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I do believe as cake and cookies are food they can not be directly copyrighted. Mr. Kellogs tried for many years and failed to protect his cornflakes just as did Mr. McDonald!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%