Lactose Free Cake? Plesae Help...

Baking By DH2008 Updated 2 Sep 2010 , 4:20pm by lonhp86

DH2008 Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 1:30pm
post #1 of 7

Does anyone know if I can sub almond milk for regular milk? Have to bake this by tomorrow. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

6 replies
Karen421 Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 1:43pm
post #2 of 7

They have lactose free milk at grocery store, in with the rice milk. I think Silk is Almond milk, but I am not sure if it is lactose free.

edited to add: I think it is called LACTAID Milk .

DH2008 Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 3:48pm
post #3 of 7

The almond milk is lactose free, I just didn't know if it would bake the same. Do you think the cakes consistency would be the same?

leah_s Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 4:12pm
post #4 of 7

I've subbed soy milk. It works fine.

Bethkay Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 4:13pm
post #5 of 7

I am lactose intolerant and can tell you that as a rule, I have not had good luck substituting soy or almond milk for regular milk. I would use Lactaid brand milk, which is readily available in the supermarkets. If you can find almond milk in your store, you can find Lactaid.

Also, Lactaid comes full-fat (which is what I use for my cakes), and almond and soy milks may not contain the same percentage of fats, so I would stay away from them for a paying customer. Lactaid is real milk, so you wouldn't be messing around with the chemistry or structure in any way if you use it.

HTH thumbs_up.gif

NancyBakes Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 4:15pm
post #6 of 7

My DH is lactose intolerant, so I have some experience here... Cook's Illustrated did a test on SOY milk (nothing about Almond Milk that I recall) and said it was a perfectly acceptable substitute in sweet dishes (not recommended in savory foods). Lactaid milk also bakes fine. Please remember that there is lactose in butter and in most margarine (even stick margarine) so you may want to check with whomever your baking for to see if they can tolerate butter and/or margarine (some people are more sensitive than others) unless you are already using a recipe that calls for shortening or oil instead. If you do use soy milk or almond milk be sure that you mention that too since many people have soy and/or nut allergies. Good luck!

lonhp86 Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 4:20pm
post #7 of 7

u can use water or juice insted of any plane milk (not buttermilk)

Quote by @%username% on %date%