Few ?'s About Sugarveil

Decorating By twingirls05 Updated 4 Sep 2010 , 3:21am by emilyg

twingirls05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twingirls05 Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 1:28pm
post #1 of 12

I was looking at some of the videos about Sugarveil and it looks really cool! From what I've seen, I think I can answer most of my own questions, but thought I would ask on here (for those who have already used it).

I'm an "on-the-side" cake decorator and looking to get more into it. So, I'm not looking for stuff that is a huge investment right now. Looks like Sugarveil could be a HUGE expense, if you want it to bed (with the lace mats and stuff and piping kits, etc.

From what I've seen, the mix itself is reasonably priced....so I wanted to get like a lb of that to play around with. Here are my questions:

1. Can you use Sugarveil with regular old stencils you can get at a craft/hobby store to make decorations for a cake?

2. Can Sugarveil be piped using a regular tip and piping bag (or do you need to buy their whole "system" for piping?

3. Other than the Sugarveil "powder," is there anything else that is necessary to buy with it (assuming I can just use my own stencils and piping bag)? Is anything else needed to get started and play around with??

11 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 3:26pm
post #2 of 12

I bought the starter kit at the convention. I got the DVD, comb, 1lb sugarveil and a silcone matt.

I did not buy the lace matt because I don't do alot of lace on cakes and I want it more for the ribbon/bow aspect of it.

I was told you can use it with just a bag and a tip.

emilyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilyg Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 5:50pm
post #3 of 12

Twingirls, like TexasSugar said, you can use a regular piping bag and tip (very fine - 00 or 1) to pipe SugarVeil - or even a parchment cone. Pipe on the cake, or 'off the cake' to peel and place when set.

Any craft stencil is fine to use - you can stencil onto a greased silicone mat (or onto greased parchment paper, if you don't have a silicone mat) and place the individual pieces on the cake. Or you can spread out a very thin sheet of SugarVeil, and when it sets, stencil your design with a color of SugarVeil onto this set SugarVeil 'fabric'. When it' has again set, you can make a bow out of it, or wrap it around your cake.

The only thing you need with SugarVeil is boiling water, an electric mixer, and to closely follow the instructions (here are the most recent instructions: http://ow.ly/d/3dP). If you don't have the Dessert Garnishes DVD that comes in the Starter Kit, you can go to our website and read previous articles that were in cake magazines, and you'll get lots of good ideas and instruction. The "Press Releases" section has three educational asterisked articles here: http://www.sugarveil.com/information/press_releases.htm and there are a few on the 'Featured Magazines' page, too: http://www.sugarveil.com/information/magazines.htm

And please let us know if you've questions along the way - we are happy to help. You can email us at [email protected]

Thank you,

Michele at SugarVeil

Montrealconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Montrealconfections Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 6:12pm
post #4 of 12

Hi Emilyg,

I have not purchased your product yet but I have a question regarding flow technique I wonder if I was to pip an outline in Sugarveil then fill the inside would it flatten like royal icing? The consistency seems thick to do so can you add water to it to make it "flow" better?

Thanks for the info, Marlyn

emilyg Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 6:29pm
post #5 of 12

Yes, Marlyn, you can both outline shapes and then use SugarVeil for color flow. As is, it flows really easily and it will self-level, but you can always add a few drops of water to the already mixed SugarVeil to flatten it even further for the inside of the piped shapes.

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 6:39pm
post #6 of 12

Emily -- When you use it on a stencil, is the excess sugarveil that you scrape off the stencil reusable?

emilyg Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 8:34pm
post #7 of 12

Yes, Luddroth, scrape the stencil of excess SugarVeil and re-use it.

Also, save any set SugarVeil scraps by color - they make great mosaic decorations for cakes.

Michele at SugarVeil

twingirls05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twingirls05 Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 9:23pm
post #8 of 12

Thanks so much ladies! Seems like a GREAT product and I can't wait to order some and try it out!!!!!!

luddroth Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 3:15pm
post #9 of 12

Another question: What happens to Sugarveil when it's time to slice the cake? With either lace or ribbon, or stencilled pieces, will a knife cut through the Sugarveil? Is it rubbery?

emilyg Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 7:01pm
post #10 of 12

Luddroth, SugarVeil cuts very nicely right along with your cake. The texture depends upon the icing it is placed upon. SugarVeil pieces placed directly onto fat-containing icings cake stay very soft. For any raised SugarVeil decoration, like SugarVeil bows, we like to snip a piece of the bow (using the Confectionery Snips or any small, fine scissors) and serve it along with each slice of the cake. Guests are delighted to actually eat the decorations, rather than see them removed just as the cake is to be cut.

A serrated knife works fine for all but the most extreme SugarVeil decorations. A good 'extreme' example is the Ascot Cake shown here: http://www.sugarveil.com/information/magazines.htm The SugarVeil pocket at the base of the cake, what with the many folded layers of the "hemmed" SugarVeil handkerchief, the SugarVeil pocket itself, and the gold-leafed SugarVeil insignia that we attached to the pocket, we had about 8 layers of SugarVeil. A serrated knife might have done the job, but in order to keep all the decorations absolutely perfect during serving, we snipped a cutting line thru the pocket first, then continued the rest of the cut with a knife. It's pretty amazing to see all the decorations 'deconstructed' into cut pieces. It also creates lots of buzz around your cake.

Michele at SugarVeil

luddroth Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 7:37pm
post #11 of 12

Thanks very much, Emily/Michele -- I really appreciate your responses here. I have now spent a couple of hours studying your site, as well as all the photos on CC using Sugarveil, and have decided to give it a try. I am really intrigued by the possibilities -- it seems to me that the full creativity of cake designers has not yet exploited Sugarveil to the fullest. I can't wait to see more examples as time goes on....

emilyg Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 3:21am
post #12 of 12

That's great, Luddroth - keep us all posted of your SugarVeil adventures!

Michele at SugarVeil

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%