Question For Home Bakers.

Business By ssayres Updated 4 Sep 2010 , 1:18pm by adonisthegreek1

ssayres Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 12:55pm
post #1 of 9

Curious as if any home bakers sold at a store front. I visisted a cupcake shop recently. It's a new shop, so I had to check it out. To make a long story short the lady said all of their cupcakes were baked at an alternate loction and brought there to the very small store front, where basically she had a counter and a register. So it gave me an idea...I thought why couldn't I try to do that.

Has anyone done anything similar?

Thanks

8 replies
CookieMeister Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 3:10pm
post #2 of 9

I haven't, but I have a friend who lives a few hours away that does. It works really well for her because she works her own hours out of her home, and has part-time employees working the storefront - all they do is sell.

She also does just cupcakes; I don't know how well that would work for cakes. You wouldn't be able to make any corrections/last many changes that way.

Sucrea Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 3:19pm
post #3 of 9

There are a lot of states that don't allow home kitchens. If you are in a state that does, it sounds like a good opportunity to get yourself established. Good Luck!

dreamcakesmom Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 3:25pm
post #4 of 9

I agree with Sucrea that you really would need to work hand in hand with your helth dept to ensure thata. home baking ia legal but also b. selling those home baked products at an alternate retail location is ok. I know where I live there are restictions for home bakers about only directly selling to the customer and I am not sure if that extra step of being stored and sold at a retail location would limit you.

If you get a green light, go for it. Could be an amazing opportunity to maximize your flexibility and also reach more of the public with your product

JRAE33 Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 3:34pm
post #5 of 9

You really have to check out your state's rules. Our state just recently started allowing home bakers, but we are not allowed to sell at a store front anything baked in our home. We can sell from home, at farmers markets, craft fairs, etc...but not in store fronts.

Ruth0209 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 7:06pm
post #6 of 9

In Idaho, baking for re-sale is expressly prohibited unless the product is made in a fully licensed commercial kitchen. As usual, check with your health department before you launch off into a venture.

mombabytiger Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 8:20am
post #7 of 9

Oh dear. I am a home baker in a legal state and just got hired to provide cupcakes, cakes and pies for a local restaurant. It didn't even occur to me that it might be against health regulations. One more thing to worry about.

leily Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 12:52pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mombabytiger

Oh dear. I am a home baker in a legal state and just got hired to provide cupcakes, cakes and pies for a local restaurant. It didn't even occur to me that it might be against health regulations. One more thing to worry about.

It may not be illegal, but it may make you a "wholesale distributer" which may have other regulations to follow. Or the Wholsesale distribution may not be an option from a home bakery.

adonisthegreek1 Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 1:18pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mombabytiger

The restaurant must know that it is illegal. Most, if not all, states with a cottage food law states that you must sell directly to the consumer and not sell through a third party like a restaurant, coffee shop or grocery store.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%