Oreo Filling

Baking By kathy090407 Updated 9 Sep 2010 , 1:57pm by ddaigle

kathy090407 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathy090407 Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 12:21am
post #1 of 24

Hi, i am looking for the recipe for oreo filling. I found a good one on here posted by, alittlesliceofheaven, but the page won't open for me anymore. Does anyone else have a good recipe for a oreo or cookies and cream type of filling. Thanks!

23 replies
nonilm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonilm Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 12:52am
post #2 of 24
ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 1:05am
post #3 of 24

I'm doing one next week and I'm gonna just crunch up some oreos and fold them into some butter cream then spread.

srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 2:36am
post #4 of 24

I did a cake a couple of months ago for a family member and I did the same thing. I bought the oreo cookies, crushed them up slightly and folded them into the buttercream filling. Later that day when we had the cake, all the "crunch" was gone. It didn't even taste like oreo...and I did put a fair amount in the icing, but I haven't done an oreo filling since then. I guess I did something wrong, or maybe the filling isn't supposed to be crunchy?

SpringFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpringFlour Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 2:41am
post #5 of 24

I just use my regular vanilla buttercream, with broken-up Oreos in it. Turns out great.

NatD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatD Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 2:45am
post #6 of 24

I usually put jello pudding into my buttercream..it actually has pieces of oreo's in it but I usually add some more just for the extra crunch.... icon_biggrin.gif

ddaigle Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 4:48pm
post #7 of 24

srkmilklady your results make me nervous. I have seen lots of recipes for oreo filling. I didn't really want to go the cream cheese/cool whip or better cream route. If the cookies get soft in butter cream, I would think they would get soft in anything?? I see jello makes an instant pudding, but there are no pieces. I think this kid I'm doing the cake for is going to expect some oreo pieces.

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 4:54pm
post #8 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaigle

I'm doing one next week and I'm gonna just crunch up some oreos and fold them into some butter cream then spread.

This is exactly what I do and it works great. One thing I do though is scrape the filling out because it just seems too sweet to me. Yeah, it takes more work but I have gotten rave reviews using it.
One time I mixed in a block of cream cheese and it was just divine.

As to the other post about the cookies getting soft. Yes, they will get soft but the flavor is still there. I don't know of a recipe that would keep the cookies crunchy.

mmmm, I love oreos!

srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 4:54pm
post #9 of 24

ddaigle...It appears that I am the only one who has had an issue. SpringFlour seems to have done the same thing as me with no issues. I'm just speaking from a "one-time" experience. If you plan on doing the same, maybe do a practice bit of icing with the oreos in it? If it works, let me know because then it's just gotta be me doing something wrong! icon_confused.gif

NatD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatD Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 4:57pm
post #10 of 24

sorry I meant to say the oreo jello pudding...it does have some real oreos( or at least the stuff I have used) but like you said people expect the crunch so I do add real oreos into it as well

mandyloo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandyloo Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 5:02pm
post #11 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathy090407

Hi, i am looking for the recipe for oreo filling. I found a good one on here posted by, alittlesliceofheaven, but the page won't open for me anymore. Does anyone else have a good recipe for a oreo or cookies and cream type of filling. Thanks!

**Oreo Filling
Ingredients

* Two 7 oz jars of marshmallow fluff
1 cup shortening (non butter flavor)
2/3 cup powdered sugar
1 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
4 teaspoons VERY HOT water (this helps to make the fluff easier to spread)
pinch to 1/4 teaspoon salt (not too much or it will taste salty not sweet just enough to take some of the sweetness out, though.)
15-20 Oreo cookies crushed into small & medium pieces

Instructions
Combine marshmallow fluff, shortening, powdered sugar, and vanilla in a medium bowl and mix well with an electric mixer on high until fluffy. In a separate bowl Combine the salt with the hot water in a small bowl and stir until dissolved. Add to the fluff mixture mix on high for 30 seconds or so until combined. Fold in cookie pieces. **

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 3:20pm
post #12 of 24

I have used the recipe on cc in the most saved area. The cookies don't get soft. My family likes this filling so much that I put it as icing on chocolate cupcakes. I spike the icing and they look really pretty.

ddaigle Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 3:31pm
post #13 of 24

well, I was going to be lazy and just fold some in my butter cream or use the jello instant c&c pudding....but now I want to try the one on cc...but it won't open. Think we still have bugs in the system. If anyone has, can you post here plz? thx

durell87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
durell87 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 3:59pm
post #14 of 24

Mmm mandyloo that sounds good! Think bim gunna try that on a spidy man cake coming up!. Is it really thick tho? I'm doing the spiderman bust so the cake will be vertical and just want to make sure its not going to slide around
Thanks!

scp1127 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 4:02pm
post #15 of 24

ddaigle, mine won't open either, but I do have a hard copy.... I'll have to do a little digging. I won't be too long.

scp1127 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 4:15pm
post #16 of 24

ddaigle, I checked my copy and mandyloo posted the exact one on cc most saved a few posts ago. I did use the max 20 oreos. My shortening is the high ratio kind, but i'm sure it will be fine with crisco too. I also mixed the fluff, shortening, sugar, and vanilla for awhile like the pros do their buttercream. I am a scratch baker and didn't know anything about enhanced mixes until I found CC. My first enhanced cake was the chocolate WASC (also on favorites). I topped them with this filling. I don't even like chocolate and I really liked this cake and filling. I am opening my legal baking business in about two weeks and I will be offering this combination.

cakecraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecraft Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 4:25pm
post #17 of 24

I use a box of oreo pudding mix made with whipping cream instead of milk. I then add in a bunch of crushed oreos. The oreos lose their crunch but still taste plenty oreo-y!

Mark-Mexicano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mark-Mexicano Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 4:41pm
post #18 of 24

Would covering the oreos in chocolate before crushing seal them from moisture?

scp1127 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 4:47pm
post #19 of 24

The crushed oreos would get moisture on the exposed sides

mandyloo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandyloo Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 7:25pm
post #20 of 24

I'm glad I saved a hard copy of the recipe while the site is having issues, I just LOVE that filling!

scp1127 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 7:32pm
post #21 of 24

mandyloo, I'm glad you had it too. I type so slow and I was glad to see that it was the one you posted and I didn't have to type. What do you use with the filling?

KrazyKakesNJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrazyKakesNJ Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 3:25am
post #22 of 24

Thank you mandlo! I am doing an Oreo filling cake and did not know how to make it.

kathy090407 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathy090407 Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 2:41pm
post #23 of 24

Thanks Mandyloo! this is the recipe i was looking for. i'm running out to the store right now to get the stuff i need. I am putting it in my sons b-day cake tomorrow.

ddaigle Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 1:57pm
post #24 of 24

Well, I just filled my cake. I made up 2 boxes of the jello cookies & cream instant pudding but it wasn't enough (needed to fill a 12x12 cake), so I added a couple big dallops of butter cream and chopped up some more oreos and mixed it all together. It tasted amazing. I'll never know how personally, as I made it for a co-worker. I'll have to wait until after the weekend to hear her opinion.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%