Can You Freeze Cake Balls?

Decorating By sechrestloans Updated 6 Sep 2010 , 10:01pm by aswartzw

sechrestloans Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sechrestloans Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 10:08pm
post #1 of 13

Can you freeze cake balls? I am making a cake this weekend and want to use the left over for cake balls for an event on the 18th? has anyone froze them before? were they covered in the candy melts when you froze them? or did you freeze them and then cover them after they were defrosted? Also if you freeze them, what is the best way to avoid freezer burn or having them turn out yucky? How long will they keep in the freezer?Thanks!

12 replies
motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 10:16pm
post #2 of 13

I freeze them all the time!

SamaritanSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SamaritanSweets Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 10:20pm
post #3 of 13

I freeze the plain cake, wrapped in several layers of saran wrap and then put in a freezer bag. I actually turn them into cake balls within a day or two of the event so that they are fresh.

torysgirl87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
torysgirl87 Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 10:42pm
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sweetheart-

I freeze them all the time!

Me too! I form them, insert tooth pic, freeze them to firmness, dip them, remove tooth pic and cover hole then re-freeze them till firm. I only have made them for family or DH to eat, so there are usually lots of leftovers in the freezer, but they always taste great to me.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 10:48pm
post #5 of 13

freeze them before dipping. chocolate or candy melts might behave weirdly in drastic temperature changes. they could develop those weird spots ... not sure what the term is, but i've had cake balls in the fridge get those.

motherofgrace Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 11:12pm
post #6 of 13

I freeze them covered in chocolate, but they are wrapped in foil all ready to go!

The taste and look fine icon_smile.gif

And the weirs spots is "blooming". Which wont happen if they are wrapped

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 11:14pm
post #7 of 13

ahh i see, ty ... i think mine bloomed when they were in just a pyrex dish with a lid ... not much air or moisture-proofing there.

motherofgrace Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 12:11am
post #8 of 13

yea I get that all the time when I try to harden them in the fridge.

I find unwrapped ypu can have them in there for like 5 minutes at most

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 3:15am
post #9 of 13

If they bloom, just use a small sieve and dust them with either cocoa powder or confectioner's sugar. I freeze them all the time.

motherofgrace Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 3:16am
post #10 of 13

what will that do?

tcwheeler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcwheeler Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 8:31pm
post #11 of 13

I have frozen it at all the stages except after dipped. I have frozen cake/leftover cake, frozen the mixture, and I've frozen the balls. Just depends upon how much time that I've had. I take it out a couple of days before and let it thaw in the fridge.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 9:47pm
post #12 of 13

The cocoa powder or confectioners sugar will cover up any bloom spots that don't dry and go back to the original color.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 10:01pm
post #13 of 13

I prefer mine straight from the freezer. They are so yummy ice cold. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%