Decorating Books???

Decorating By Yankie Updated 3 Sep 2010 , 5:08am by butterlove

Yankie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yankie Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 9:21pm
post #1 of 11

Theres new book coming out "1,000 Ideas for Decorating Cupcakes, Cakes, and Cookies" by Sandra Salamony and Gina M. Brown. Right now the book can be pre-ordered. It looks really good, I was wondering if anyone has any of their books and if so are they worth getting.

Where do you get your books..Bookstores or amazon? Just trying to see who offers the best price.

What's your favorite book for cake decorating??

Thanks

10 replies
Yankie Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 2:21am
post #2 of 11

Well since nonone answered my request for a feedback on this book..i went ahead and ordered it anyways.

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 2:35am
post #3 of 11

Yankie, I have this book on pre-order, too. Can't wait to see it!

I recently bought two really cheap books that have turned out to be really helpful. One is the Wilton book called Uses of the Most Popular Decorating Tips (or something like that.) The other is called Buttercream Flowers and Arrangements by Roland Winbeckler which I really like because it's all about piping flowers either directly on the cake or on a stick and then immediately transfered to the cake. I'm determined to improve my piping skills!!!

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 2:39am
post #4 of 11

I hadn't seen or heard of that book before, and I don't have any books by those authors, so I can't help you there.
I love the "Whimsical Bakehouse Fun to Make Cakes" book. I look at it over and over again. It's all buttercream--no fondant at all.

Go, Yankees!

Yankie Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 2:45am
post #5 of 11

cakeythings1961;

Thanks for the feedback..I will be ordering that book too on buttercream flowers..I wanted to get a book where I can learn to make more flowers with buttercream., but I was not sure which one...so thanks

Cutthecake..that one sound good too..I like decorating cakes with buttercream...will check that one out too. And YES go Yankees!!

Thanks!!!

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 2:45am
post #6 of 11

I love anything by Lindy Smith. And most of my books come from Amazon.

Haven't seen the new book you describe but I'll keep my eyes pealed for it.

PS - Oh yeah, and Peggy Porschen. That gal can do magic with cakes and cookies!

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 3:03am
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmansmom2004

I love anything by Lindy Smith.

Yes, I was looking at this one at the bookstore yesterday (when I should have been at the grocery store! tapedshut.gif )

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0715324977/?tag=cakecentral-20

I loved it--she outlined how to make cake jewelry and how to put fondant pcs. on on wires that stick out of the top of the cake....very fun stuff. Guess I'll have to put it on my wish list!

Yankie Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 3:13am
post #8 of 11

I was gonna order that one too the other day on Amazon..when I placed an order and i didn't remember If i already had it at my place in miami..so I didn't ordered it.

I ordered "the Confetti cakes cookbook" the one that has the purse on the front and then I ordered "1,000 Ideas for Decorating Cupcakes, Cakes, and Cookies". Can't wait to get them...so excited.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 3:18am
post #9 of 11

I love my Peggy Porschen books, and my Maisie Fantaisie books (her name is May, but I keep remembering only the name of her UK business) http://www.maisiefantaisie.co.uk/wedding-cakes.html

I also love Mich Turner books.

I have some Lindy Smith books, Toba Garrett and a few others. I just love books. lol.

"1,000 Ideas for Decorating Cupcakes, Cakes, and Cookies" is a compilation of decorated cakes, cupcakes and cookies from a lot of people. The authors just asked people for submission of their work in exchange (I think) for a free copy of the book and the exposure.

If you go to Cake Journal, Louise had a blog entry about it and if you read the comments you see that a few people submitted their work. The book doesn't teach you how to make anything (I think); it is just a showcase of other people's work. I have seen the other books these authors have published, they have one on textiles and some people liked it, some others didn't.

http://www.cakejournal.com/archives/1000-ideas-for-decorating-cupcakes-cakes-and-cookies

Yankie Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 3:21am
post #10 of 11

Cakejournal is where I found out about it.

butterlove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterlove Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 5:08am
post #11 of 11

The 1000 Ways to Decorate book looked good to me too so I just pre-ordered it. I really hope it is good and that the photos are good quality.

I love my Wilton Decorating Essentials book (I'm not sure if that's the right title but it has a pink frosted cake on the cover). It's thin but shows the uses for all if not many of the Wilton tips. It's very useful for a beginner.

I have a number of decorating books that show the technique but don't disclose the tip number.

I have also ordered Eddie Spence's book, Royal Icing. It might probably be a bit over my head at this stage but I do prefer Royal Icing and piping techniques over fondant cutting.

I have all the Peggy Porchen books for colour and design inspiration. They are really decorating books and not baking books as the designs revolve around a few basic recipes. I am amazed at the way Peggy just pulls all the elements together to produce very clean, uncluttered yet classy and modern designs. I love her cookies and her cakes may not be the most complex but it all works well and the results are a feast for the eyes.

Toba Garret's book looks good too for technique but her designs are a little old-fashioned for my taste.

I think I would take Peggy Porchen's advice and go out of the food world and take cues from fashion and fabric and home deco ware for inspiration in colour and design.

I love Sweetopia's blog. She often takes her inspiration from a ribbon design or colour or a piece of pretty clipart.

I love how these people are taking cake and cookie designs to new heights.

I love Debbie Brown's finished results but I am just not artistic enough to model gumpaste and fondant into anything that looks adorable so I keep her books on my coffee table.

I get my books from The Book Depository US (the US site is usually cheaper than the UK site of the same company) and Betterworld Books. I love the latter because I was able to locate some Out Of Print books about cakes and cookies.

The Book Depository usually has a great price on Pre-Order Books too and I always check their Pre-Order Baking & Sugarcraft section for coming titles and they are always on discount. Really love this.
I have found that Amazon tends to be expensive on most titles but the Toba Garrett Professional Cake Decorating book is presently best priced on Amazon.

Hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%