Wedding Cake Question

Business By LoveMeSomeCake615 Updated 3 Sep 2010 , 5:39pm by dchockeyguy

LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 8:14pm
post #1 of 15

What is your policy on the top tier? Do you offer it as complimentary, and if so, do you still somehow work the cost of ingredients into the total cost of the cake?

Also, do you typically do the extra top tier for them to freeze, or do you give them some kind of voucher for a free first anniversary cake so that it is fresh made and they don't have to freeze it?

I know everyone is a little different on this, but I just wanted to see what is considered "standard".

14 replies
malene541 Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 8:33pm
post #2 of 15

Heck no it's not free!!!
I remind them that if they are going to keep it then they need to remember that will cut down on servings. I also always let them know that I could make another one for their one year anniversary to match it.

jason_kraft Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 8:59pm
post #3 of 15

We certainly don't offer the top tier (or the first anniversary cake) for free, and we try to encourage customers to serve the top tier while it's fresh and just order a smaller cake for the first anniversary. So far only one couple has said they still want to freeze the top tier.

leah_s Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 9:12pm
post #4 of 15

Free with me. If they're keeping it, it's free; if they're not keeping it, then they get a gift cert for a free 6" round in a year.

leily Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 9:20pm
post #5 of 15
Originally Posted by leah_s

Free with me. If they're keeping it, it's free; if they're not keeping it, then they get a gift cert for a free 6" round in a year.

Same here. If they need the servings in the cake though and still want to freeze it for the year then i just do one extra 6" and have it boxed up and deliver it with the cake.

cakesbycathy Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 11:10pm
post #6 of 15

I also offer a free tier for the anniversary. Every bride I've had loves this.

cr8zchpr Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 11:23pm
post #7 of 15

I offer the complimentary anniversary cake, but my time is complimentary, the ingredients are in the price of the wedding cake.

sari66 Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 11:25pm
post #8 of 15

It's free from Me too. And they can get an anniversary tier in a year

icesk8ermom Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 11:34pm
post #9 of 15

Curious....those that offer a cake in a year; be it free or you make it just like you did the wedding cake?

(I do not do wedding cakes so I can not answer the OP's question)

cr8zchpr Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 1:36am
post #10 of 15

for me yes, it's a replica of the top tier...

costumeczar Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 1:40am
post #11 of 15

I add the top tier into the price, but not into the serving count. That way if they want to save it they'll still have the correct serving count for the guests. If they want to buy an anniversary tier a year later they can do that, but I don't decorate it and it's priced lower than my minimum limit.

LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 11:49pm
post #12 of 15

Thanks everyone! This helps a lot!

jenmat Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 2:02am
post #13 of 15

I do a pre-packaged 6" single layer heart shaped cake of their choice flavor from their cake. It has their monogram on it and has similar decor.
I don't want people coming back to me in a year for free cake- weddings in WI take place in only a section of the year, and I'm swamped usually when their anniversary comes around. The cake is ready to freeze or eat, and my brides love it because many of them never get to taste more than that one bite of cake during cake cutting, so they have it the next day while its nice and fresh. Most think freezing is gross anyway, or they live in apts and their freezer space is too precious.

leah_s Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 11:52am
post #14 of 15

My anniversary cake is a 6" round, bc only "Happy 1st Anniversary" written on top. No other deco other than some edible glitter.

dchockeyguy Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 5:39pm
post #15 of 15

The top tier is free with me. I woudl charge if someone wants a first anniversary cake. I don't think people in my area do that a lot.

Quote by @%username% on %date%