Boiled Buttercream Under Fondant.

Decorating By baking_fool Updated 8 Feb 2013 , 7:15am by Nyasalicious

baking_fool Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baking_fool Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 7:18pm
post #1 of 8

So I did a search and came up with nothing, can boiled buttercream be used under fondant? Or will it make the fondant "melt" because of the milk in it. Here is the recipe

Boiled buttercream from Baked: New Frontiers in Baking
1 1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
1 1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup cream
1 1/2 cups butter
1 tsp vanilla

In a saucepan whisk sugar and flour together. Add milk and cream and cook over med heat whisking occasionally, untill the mixture comes to a boil and has thickened about 20 min.

transfer mixture to the bowl of an electric mixer. Beat on high until cool. Reduce speed to low and add butter one tbsp at a time. Increase speed to medium high and beat untill frosting is light andfluffy
Add vanilla.

7 replies
baking_fool Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 6:06pm
post #2 of 8

Any Ideas at all?

SuzyNoQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SuzyNoQ Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 6:33pm
post #3 of 8

I don't see why you couldn't since it is beaten on high until cooled.

Suzisweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzisweet Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 7:05pm
post #4 of 8

Hi there,
My family actually makes this icing and always has for our family banana cake recipe. I love it! It is so yummy. I know that sometimes we also made it with the shortening in place of the butter...either way YUM!

Though I am not sure about the fondant and milk thing (I have never heard that it melts it) I am just thinking that the "lightness" of this frosting maybe a worry. I would make sure to only put a thin coat so that you do not experience the "fondant slide".

I am going to watch this thread so that I can find out if this will actually melt the fondant though....I am very curious. I have yet to have anyone request cake with that particular icing and then fondant but would hate to find out the hard way.

Just out of curiosity, what makes you think that it will "melt" the fondant. Is it the acid in the milk because I do make my buttercream using heavy whipping cream or whole milk and then I fondant. I have never experienced anything bad.

Suzi

baking_fool Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 10:40pm
post #5 of 8

Hello thank you for the comments. I was thinking that the fondant would melt because in the past when I put fondant accents on a cake with whipped cream the fondant melted and the same thing when I have used cream cheese icing. So my thought process was that an icing with a high amount of dary would cause a problem with the fondant.

Of course I could be wrong, icon_smile.gif

Any way any advice is welcome.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 10:59pm
post #6 of 8

whipped cream and cream cheese can do the to fondant, its not the milk. most bc contains milk, and works fine.
dont know if this one crusts or anything, but you may want to put it in the fridge to firm up if needs be before you fondant.
xx

Suzisweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzisweet Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 11:03pm
post #7 of 8

I would not consider this a crusting buttercream.

Nyasalicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nyasalicious Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 7:15am
post #8 of 8

Hi there,

I know this is an old thread.

But wanted to check if anyone has tried this under fondant?

I made this buttercream once, i found it way too soft for frosting under the fondant. I mean the cake would have to be refrigerated. 

My go to buttercream is Swiss meringue, It is just that i get a lot of requests for eggless cakes and i am looking for a buttercream which i can use under fondant and also make variations with the same.

Please let me know if anyone has tried any variations or under fondant..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%