Mmf? By Hand Or Mixer?

Baking By Pickulz Updated 2 Sep 2010 , 3:06am by Mickeebabe

Pickulz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pickulz Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 6:50pm
post #1 of 11

If you make the MMF do you typically knead it by hand or in the mixer? (After the marshmallows have melted in the microwave?)

I typically knead it by hand...but its so messy!! I was wondering if I could do it in the mixer? Anyone do that?
How do you add the PS and do you Crisco the paddle and bowl?

10 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 7:07pm
post #2 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickulz

If you make the MMF do you typically knead it by hand or in the mixer?

Mixer.

Quote:

How do you add the PS

dump it in.

Quote:

do you Crisco the paddle and bowl?

yes... sometimes it helps, sometimes not!

luv_to_decorate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv_to_decorate Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 7:19pm
post #3 of 11

I spray the bowl and dough hook with Baker's Joy. I add the melted marshmallows and 1 cup of ps. I let that mix and then add another cup of ps. I then either add 1/2 cup and mix or if it is close at that point, I turn it out onto a large cutting board that hubby made (not wood or plastic, like fiberglass but not that) that I have greased and put some ps on. I finish it out on the board.

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 7:30pm
post #4 of 11

I do mine by hand because my mixer is 9 years old and I don't want to push it over the edge lol .

I don't find it to be that messy. I clean/sanitize the top of my island, rub an area with shortening (about 18"X18"), then sift my PS over the shortening. Melt my 'mallows, make a well in my PS, and pour them in. If I keep the mixture within the area where I rubbed shortening, it's easy to clean up.

When I'm done, I just wipe up the PS dust around my island, sprinkle a little water over my shortening, give it a minute to soak, then use my bench scraper to scrape it all up. Give it another damp wipe and it's good to go.

malene541 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malene541 Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 8:30pm
post #5 of 11

I use my kitchenaid. Add in as much sugar as my mixer can handle then scrape the mix to a powdered sugared covered counter top. As long as I keep my counter covered with sugar my marshmallow mixture never sticks. My only clean up is washing the little bit of left over sugar. I don't put crisco on my mixer blade or anything because it's going to stick to it regardless.
(I can usually get about 4 cups of powdered sugar in my mixer before I need to scrape it out and knead the rest.)

All4Show Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
All4Show Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 8:45pm
post #6 of 11

I use my kitchen aide with the dough hook and no higher than 2 speed setting. I do grease the bowl and the hook because I really feel it makes a difference. I wouldn't even attempt to make it by hand. Too messy and too much work. It takes about 10 mins. to make a batch.

michel30014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michel30014 Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 8:47pm
post #7 of 11

I make mmf by hand.

I clean/sanitize my countertop, rub with shortening, and pat/scrape PS over the shortening. Melt my marshmallows in microwave, make a well in my PS and pour them in. I keep the mixture within the well as much as possible. and then knead away. After wrapping up the finished fondant, I clean up and it's really not that bad.

I just wipe up the PS and scrape a bit with a plastic spatula. Wipe it down with a soapy sponge and then a clean damp sponge and it's done!

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 8:56pm
post #8 of 11

I make mine one-handed...

I hold the big bowl of melted MM's (in my empty kitchen sink) with one hand, and knead with the other. I used to dig right in with both, but I like keeping one clean to grab the Saran wrap, or work the microwave if any further melting is needed.

(Easy to clean just the one bowl btw, versus the entire tabletop or counter!)

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 2:26am
post #9 of 11

i read a post where they used their food processor, said they didn't even melt the mm's i haven't tried it but i will melt the marshmallows, and also add some crisco not a lot, i'll use the rest of the crisco when kneeding.

mimi4bye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mimi4bye Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 2:48am
post #10 of 11

I always do mine by hand. I find that the more I practice with it the less mess I am making. The first time I did it I had ps everywhere!. Now it is no more difficult to clean up my countertop than it would be to clean up my mixer bowl and wiping the mixer down.

Mickeebabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickeebabe Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 3:06am
post #11 of 11

I make mine in the mixer. I spray a butter cooking spray (I use the Crisco brand) in the glass bowl before I put the marshmallows in and then microwave them. Then I put some crisco on the paddle and some in the kitchenaid bowl. Then I cover the bowl and mixer with plastic wrap and just let it go. Seems to work pretty good.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%