A Broccoli Cake? Seriously? Hellppp! Lol

Decorating By chilz822 Updated 14 Sep 2010 , 1:48pm by chilz822

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 6:48pm
post #1 of 10

That's right, a broccoli cake. I have a co-worker that has asked for a cake that looks like broccoli!

I did find this photo and he loves it, so can anyone give me any idea on how to create this, because I'm really just lost!
Thanks in advance!

hmmm... seems it's not showing my upload.
The photo can be found here:
http://weirdvegetables.blogspot.com/2008/05/let-them-eat-broccoli-cake.html

9 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 6:55pm
post #2 of 10

looks like it was carved from a larger cake. the the bottom part was pulled with a spatula to get the "stalk" the top just looks like lots of dots with a round tip when you look at the image blown up

http://bp2.blogger.com/_WDP_R3BZvPo/SB-_nvhja3I/AAAAAAAAAE8/xVJkL-G3psc/s1600-h/brocolli+cake.jpg

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 7:03pm
post #3 of 10

I can't remember where I saw cupcakes made to look like broccoli, but I do remember that the "florets" were covered in green frosting and dipped in green non-pareils.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 7:15pm
post #4 of 10

cutthecake, that's the "What's New Cupcake" book that is by the same people who did hello cupcake. I went to her class and we made the brocolli out of green laffy taffy and frosting and the green non-pareils and it looks so real it was crazy.

For a cake that size you could also just texture the frosting by using a gloved hand and icing the frosting and pulling up or maybe you a cheese cloth to get the bumpy feel. What a cute cake idea.

cutthecake Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 7:19pm
post #5 of 10

That's right, sillywabbitz! The book is sitting on my dining room table, but I forgot where I saw the picture! The broccoli looked so real.

dukeswalker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dukeswalker Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 1:45am
post #6 of 10

I have some of those broccoli cupcakes in my photos - used green tootsie rolls, green buttercream & green non parials (whatever those little dot sprinkles are called)

chilz822 Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 4:54am
post #7 of 10

Thanks for all the info everyone!
dukeswalker, those cuppies are too cute!
Maybe I can convince him that a bowl of broccoli cake would be cuter than a bunch of broccoli! heh

chilz822 Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 4:06am
post #8 of 10

Thanks evefyone for your help and suggestions, here's the final product
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1802117.html

...it was a huge hit!

cutthecake Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 12:43pm
post #9 of 10

chilz,
It looks great. What did you decide to do for the broccoli?

chilz822 Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 1:48pm
post #10 of 10

I used Laffy Taffy and Airheads taffy... the Laffy Taffy is the brighter one and green apple flavored, the Airheads were paler and watermelon flavored. After I rolled and snipped them, I dipped the tips in green candy melts then rolled in green non-parils...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%