First Paid Cake Job

Decorating By rebeccabeebe Updated 1 Sep 2010 , 7:04pm by shalini1

rebeccabeebe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rebeccabeebe Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 6:43pm
post #1 of 2

so im very new at the cake decorating and my mother inlaws friend asked me to do a wedding cake for her son.. and im not sure how i should go about the pricing... any suggestions would be great!

1 reply
shalini1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shalini1 Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 7:04pm
post #2 of 2

Hi! Congrats on the possible cake order. I do suggest reading the forums here as there are tons of info and suggestions on pricing. That being said, most people (including myself) actually charge per slice. This is dependent on your location and what the competition is charging. You never undercut your competition. Indydebi has great suggestions on calculating how much cake will actually be used/eaten on her blog: http://cateritsimple.blogspot.com/

Not many people touch up on it, but it also really depends on your decorating experience & comfort. If you can't produce what they want (or not feel entirely comfortable with the process) you can't turn around and charge what Mr. Seasoned Decorator is charging because your skill sets are quite different.

Last but not least, make sure the client likes your cake/fillings also. Everyone's taste buds are different and if they expect cake box taste and texture but your cakes are different, they may be disappointed.

Quite a few factors to think about - I know it seems overwhelming but if you have lots of time before the wedding, then friends will reap the benefits of your practice time. Have fun with it! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%