Crusting Buttercream On Cake Dummy

Decorating By JustGettinStarted Updated 1 Sep 2010 , 7:23pm by sweetcakes

JustGettinStarted Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 5:40pm
post #1 of 3

Hi I was wondering if you can reuse the buttercream you use on a cake dummy if it's a crusting buttercream? I want to practice my smoothing (desperately need to) and don't want to waste money making new buttercream every time.

Also, do you cover your cake dummies with anything? I was thinking maybe contact paper or something? I want to be able to wash the foam, but don't know how to go about doing it. thanks!

2 replies
TexasSugar Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 6:21pm
post #2 of 3

No I don't cover it. I just soak off what ever icing is on there and reuse the dummy.

If you removed the icing right away and stored it in a bowl you may be able to reuse it later. I wouldn't try reusing icing that had been on the dummy for any lenght of time because the more it crust the more chunky pieces you will get.

While I do think it is nice to practice on dummies when you don't want to bake alot of cakes, I do personally thing the best thing to practice on is a cake. There are some many things you encounter while icing a real cake that you don't have to deal with when doing a dummy.

sweetcakes Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 7:23pm
post #3 of 3

I agree, you will probably find icing the dummy cake harder then icing a real cake. Yes you could reuse your icing if you ice, smooth and then scrape it off the dummy back into a container. Buttercream wont crust that much in a short time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%