What Is Mmf Suppose To Look Like Right After Making?

Decorating By shannonmarie77 Updated 2 Sep 2010 , 3:16am by madgeowens

shannonmarie77 Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 3:22pm
post #1 of 8

I just made my first batches ever of MMF. I used either white or colored MM and added kool aid during the melting stage.

I kneaded it all out but once i finished and added the Crisco on the outside to store it now looks like chewed gum...lol

Is it suppose to look like that until i roll it out on more powdered sugar or cornstarch?

7 replies
madgeowens Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 3:29pm
post #2 of 8

if it looks like chewing gum then I would guess you did noy knead in enough 10x....it should look like play dough sorta

shannonmarie77 Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 3:36pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks for the reply, do i need to add more powder sugar to it or just knead it more?

Thanks!!

Texas_Rose Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 3:36pm
post #4 of 8

It usually is pretty soft right after it's made, but let it rest overnight and it will firm up to the texture you need.

shannonmarie77 Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 3:45pm
post #5 of 8

okay, thanks!!

if it is still soft tomorrow can I still knead it or add more powder sugar to it?

Texas_Rose Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 3:50pm
post #6 of 8

You'll need to knead it tomorrow before you use it, so that it's nice and smooth for your cake.

If you're sure it's too soft, it would be better and easier to add more sugar now. Mine is pretty soft right after it's made though...if I shape it into a ball it will start to flatten out. It seems like it's going to be too soft to use at all, but it's firm enough the next day to be a challenge to knead.

catlharper Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 6:28pm
post #7 of 8

MMF should look like soft pizza dough when it has enough PS to it. It should have lost the sticky texture but not reached the cracking stage. So, soft, not dry. When you take it out the next day and crack it open you will see something that looks a bit like a flaky pie crust..warm it up in the microwave for 15-60 seconds to soften it up then knead it again for about 10 mins to get it back to that soft pliable stage.
It may be sticky again so you will want to dust your surface with PS and knead it in again to get the right texture. Sticky=more powdered sugar and dry/cracking = more crisco kneaded in.

Cat

madgeowens Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 3:16am
post #8 of 8

you can knead more sugar into it later....or now...either way is fine...I usually add sugar and knead unti it is not sticky

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%