Newbie Cake Layering Question

Decorating By bamadixiechick Updated 1 Sep 2010 , 5:44pm by imagenthatnj

bamadixiechick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bamadixiechick Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 3:12pm
post #1 of 4

I'm a cake newbie and have been addicted to CC. I have been watching several cake decorating videos, but I need help with layers and torte and assembling each layer.

For example, here is a photo of a single tier cake. (disregard the decorations)

http://tinyurl.com/35x4235

What size pans do I need? 9"? 10"? What about depth? 2" or 3" How many pans?

Once the cake is done, and I take the cakes out of their pans, then do I slice each cake in half horizontally and stack with icing in between so I have 4+ layers?

If anyone has a tutortial on this, I would greatly appreciate it! I figured I'd start small and master the basic technique before moving on to mult-tier cakes.

Thanks!
Robyn

3 replies
leslieannec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leslieannec Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 4:51pm
post #2 of 4

Hi Robyn,
Without a scale to the picture, there really is no way to tell how big this particular cake is. If I were to do something like that though, I would go with an 8 inch. It looks like the type of cake where they aren't looking to feed that many.

Other people may disagree though.

Leslie

iluvpeeks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iluvpeeks Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 5:19pm
post #3 of 4

Hi
Its does look like it could be an 8" cake. Regardless of cake size, torting and filling are all done the same way. You will find that there are several preferred methods of torting and filling cakes. I either torte right away, and then freeze, or freeze and then torte. It depends on how sturdy the cake is. Make sure though if you freeze, you need to wrap the layers thoroughly. Freezing while still warm gives you a super moist cake. I generally use press n seal freezer wrap, and then put in large freezer bags. (as suggested by another cc member) After taking out of freezer, let semi defrost, torte and fill, and crumb coat. Make sure that you make a dam out of thickened buttercream (you can almost roll it in your hands) before filling. (another cc tip) Tightly wrap again, and lets cakes settle overnight. This allows cake to release any gases so your cakes don't bulge from excess filling leaking out. Unwrap, clean away any excess filling, fix the crumbcoat, and then you are ready to ice the cake, or cover in fondant. I'm still new at this also, but I have had great success with following what other very experienced bakers have suggested on this site. I HTH.
Kathy

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%