Frosting For Caramel Mud Cupcakes???

Baking By Lemmers Updated 1 Sep 2010 , 3:33pm by Lemmers

Lemmers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lemmers Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 2:53pm
post #1 of 4

Hi all!

I have just made some lovely caramel mud cupcakes using a recipe I found on CC but would love to frost them too to really give the wow factor, but am at a loss to know what flavour frosting to use!

I want something as easy as possible as I have a young baby who wont always allow Mummy time to fiddle about, and ideally something that doesnt require refridgeration as I plan to take these in to work to share.

Any ideas much appreciated!! icon_biggrin.gif

3 replies
VaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VaBelle Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 3:13pm
post #2 of 4

I made some butterscotch cupcakes a while back and topped them with caramel and chocolate ganache. I dipped them in the caramel first and then poured on the chocolate. They were just me playing around so I ended up eating most of them.

Caramel Icing
Ingredients:
  20-25 caramels
  1/4 cup evaporated milk
  1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  1/3 cup peanuts chopped
Instructions
In medium microwavable bowl, combine caramels and evaporated milk; heat on medium heat, stirring occasionally, until caramels are melted. Stir in vanilla. Dip cupcake tops into caramel mixture; sprinkle with peanuts. Makes about 1 cup.

Chocolate Ganache
Ingredients
  9 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
  1 cup heavy cream
  1 tablespoon dark rum (optional)
Directions
1.  Place the chocolate into a medium bowl. Heat the cream in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Bring just to a boil, watching very carefully because if it boils for a few seconds, it will boil out of the pot. When the cream has come to a boil, pour over the chopped chocolate, and whisk until smooth. Stir in the rum if desired.
2.  Allow the ganache to cool slightly before pouring over a cake. Start at the center of the cake and work outward.

kristanashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristanashley Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 3:13pm
post #3 of 4

Chocolate!

Lemmers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lemmers Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 3:33pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the ideas!

That caramel/chocolate ganache combo sounds like a belly ache waiting to happen but in the good way icon_smile.gif

As I'm taking them to work, I may just stick with chocolate for now but will adventure into caramel/ganache territory when I next do them!

Thanks again!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%