Silver Scrolls With Royal Icing? How Do I Do This?

Decorating By bates123 Updated 2 Sep 2010 , 5:07pm by thatslifeca

bates123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bates123 Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 1:59pm
post #1 of 7

I was thinking of doing a cake with black fondant with royal icing scrolls. I'd like the scrolls to be silver. Do I have to hand paint the scrolls with luster dust and vodka, or is there a way to make the royal icing silver before scrolling the cake?

6 replies
Auntie_RaRa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auntie_RaRa Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 2:26pm
post #2 of 7

Not sure how to make royal icing silver, but I always hand paint the scrolls with luster dust and vodka.

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 2:29pm
post #3 of 7

You could maybe pipe out the scrolls with a RI that's tinted light gray...that might require less painting to get a silver color????

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 5:32pm
post #4 of 7

It's usually best to do a very light grey for silver, just like you should do yellow for anything your'e going to paint gold. I thnk you're going to have to paint the RI once it's on the cake.

bates123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bates123 Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 4:34am
post #5 of 7

I wish I had tinted it grey first. I just painted the scrolls with luster dust and vodka and it just wasn't silver. To me, it just sort of made the scrolls look dirty. Well, the cake is not bad, but I was disappointed in the lack of silver look I was going for.

I have to do gold trim this weekend. I sure hope is shows up better.

Thaks for all of your help cake central friends! I couldn't make it without you!

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 9:24am
post #6 of 7

you may have diluted the luster dust too much. It should come out extreme silver. If you have time try it again you can paint over the old dust.

thatslifeca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thatslifeca Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 5:07pm
post #7 of 7

I usually purchase the powdered colours from Squires Kitchen, they have a beautiful silver that I just mix in with the RI and it seems to get shinnier when it dries.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%