When To Place Fondant Accent On Buttercream Cake?

Decorating By savvymama Updated 1 Sep 2010 , 6:50pm by poohsmomma

savvymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
savvymama Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 1:26pm
post #1 of 6

Hi all!

I'm creating my first fondant accented cake this weekend--been busy rolling and cutting. I read it is not good to place fondant on the buttercream too early b/c the buttercream breaks it down. Is this true? How early is too early? Is 24 hours in advance too early?

Also, do you place accents at the time of icing or after the buttercream has crusted ?

TIA!

5 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 3:13pm
post #2 of 6

You can add the fondant accents whenever it is convenient for you. Buttercream will not break down fondant.

Add the accents gently after the buttercream has crusted, with a little bit of water. Don't press, otherwise the icing may crack.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 3:32pm
post #3 of 6

As soon as the cake is iced in bc, start slappin' those fondant accents on there.

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 3:45pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

As soon as the cake is iced in bc, start slappin' those fondant accents on there.

I asked this same question a couple of weeks ago and leah_s advised me to do this....she was right! If you stick them on right after icing, there is no water or glue needed. The fondant pcs adhered really well with no slipping or bleeding. icon_smile.gif

savvymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
savvymama Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 5:40pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks all!

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 6:50pm
post #6 of 6

Just make sure you don't seal the fondant accented bc cake in airtight plastic. That's when the fondant can turn gooey. Just keep the cake at room temp and store in a cake box.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%