Gum Paste On A Cookie?

Baking By MariaK38 Updated 1 Sep 2010 , 4:00pm by MariaK38

MariaK38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaK38 Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 1:10pm
post #1 of 5

Hi all! I'm considering cutting out monograms and shapes on my cricut for the tops of my sugar cookies that are first flooded in royal icing. I considered fondant, but everyone seems to have issues with cutting the fondant with the electronic cutters, so I'm not sure I even want to try it!
Do you think gum paste would be okay on the top of a cookie? Or is the taste so bad that it's not the best idea? Also, do you think this would be okay for a shape/monogram on top of an iced cupcake?
Thanks!

4 replies
bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 1:19pm
post #2 of 5

I wouldn't for two reasons: First as you mentioned, the taste is horrible. Second, it's very hard and crunchy -- no really palletable. I've done monograms on cookies using thinly rolled fondant, let it dry a few moments then cut it out and let dry. Taste is better, holds shape and isn't nasty.

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 2:04pm
post #3 of 5

ditto what bobwonderbuns said.
try fondant with tappit cutters.

Montrealconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Montrealconfections Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 3:33pm
post #4 of 5

As far as I am concerned the best way to make monogram cookies is a stencil you can use your Cricut to make the stencil if you like so the letter will be the correct size for your cookie. I make my stencils myself cutting the plastic with an Exacto knife. This is the easiest way of getting a consistent design the RI dries hard and can be wrapped without worry of the letter getting damaged. Here is a monogram cookie I made using a stencil.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/montrealcookies/4387942094/

MariaK38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaK38 Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 4:00pm
post #5 of 5

thanks, folks! your help is much appreciated!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%