How Do Ye Guys Stick Ribbon Onto Your Cake Boards ?

Decorating By skinnyminx Updated 1 Sep 2010 , 1:29pm by hsmomma

skinnyminx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skinnyminx Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 12:19pm
post #1 of 7

i usually cover my cake boards on with fondant and then trim, with ribbon but i always have bother getting it to stick ive tried a good few non toxic glues but the dont set or stick i also have put a drawing pin in at the back but that only holds it in that spot and doesnt look to profesional... any ideas?? or how to ye cover your cake boards..thanks

6 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 12:31pm
post #2 of 7

I use tacky glue. I have a friend who uses double-sided tape. Both methods work. Tacky glue is cheaper in the long run icon_biggrin.gif

Mexx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mexx Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 1:07pm
post #3 of 7

I had a lot of trouble with this too. In the beginning, I'd use a little dot of glue every so often around the board. The problem with this is that you could see the glue through the ribbon. I've now use non-toxic white glue and I lightly paint it (with a brush) along the edge of the board. The ribbon adhers nicely and it can't be seen through the ribbon.

Hope this helps.

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 1:10pm
post #4 of 7

I've been using piping gel, however, I can't get it very smooth looking. I've tried glue, piping gel and tape and there are always bumps coming thru from the pleats on the side of the board.

cakecraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecraft Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 1:14pm
post #5 of 7

I use a craft glue gun, works like a charm.

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 1:22pm
post #6 of 7

I use a hot glue gun too and only grograin ribbon. Looks great!

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 1:29pm
post #7 of 7

I do exactly what Mexx suggested. I "paint" the glue (I just use elmers or tacky...both seem to work). Then press the ribbon all the way around. I do pin it in the back where the ribbon ends meet just until the glue is dry. It dries very quick.

Have fun!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%