Whipped Cream

Decorating By Aish90 Updated 3 Sep 2010 , 9:56am by Aish90

Aish90 Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 9:53am
post #1 of 3

Hello,
I am from England but moved to America. In England I make cake with double cream and fresh fruit and wanted to make it here. I could not find double cream here so I tried to use whipping cream but found that it was very different to the cream in England in taste and....texture...
When I googled this I found that it is because the cream in England has a higher fat content.

I was wondering if anyone knows how I can get the cream to be more like the one in England. I found some recipes of stabalised whipped cream but they use gelatin and I am a vegetarian and can not use this.

I would be grateful for any help anyone can give.

Aish

2 replies
soph917 Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 10:23am
post #2 of 3

Have you tried heavy cream? Heavy cream has a higher fat content than whipping cream. Heavy cream is the closest in fat content to the double cream (36% vs 42%). Or if you can find manufacturing cream, that is even closer in fat content (40%). I know that Smart & Final carries manufacturing cream, but I believe Smart & Final may be a California store. You may be able to find it other places, however it is more often used commercially. When I was in school we used manufacturing cream, and we ordered it from Sygma Foods, but I have seen it locally at Smart & Final (open to the public).
As for stabilizing the whipped cream, there is a vegetarian alternative to gelatin- Agar Agar, it's made from seaweed. I worked at a bakery that happened to be next to a small health food store that sold Agar Agar. We used it in baking vegan cakes, well, mousse fillings.

Aish90 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 9:56am
post #3 of 3

Thank you so much for your help icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%