Structural Support Ideas Needed For "phillipines-Style-

Decorating By pursuing_perfection Updated 1 Sep 2010 , 5:12pm by pursuing_perfection

pursuing_perfection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pursuing_perfection Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 3:26am
post #1 of 5

Thanks in advance to all you CC'ers who have come to my rescue in the past! I have been asked to do a 1st birthday cake that is fairly elaborate. I was given a picture of a cake from the Philippines and asked to try to imitate it. Since the cake layers are all larger than the supportive center column, I know I will need to use some sturdy separator plates. I am wondering what to use for the center colums though...RKT covered in fondant, craft foam covered in acetate or food safe wrap, heavy duty carboard tubes covered in fondant...? And what about stability? It would be great to have a heavy-duty dowel going from the bottom to the top, but separator plates don't come with holes in them. Has anyone ever drilled a hole in a separator plate without breaking it? I could really use suggestions! I will try to post the picture I was given. Also, ideas for pricing would be appreciated. I am already thinking this is going to be like wedding cake pricing.

HOW DO I ADD AN ATTACHMENT? I HAVE TRIED TO ATTACH A PICTURE OF WHAT THE CUSTOMER WANTS, BUT IT DOESN'T SEEM TO BE WORKING!!!

4 replies
7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 3:54am
post #2 of 5

Picture attachment is still 'catch as catch can' (still being worked on).
Is there a link you can post?

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 3:56am
post #3 of 5

Here you go...

Hopefully someone will be able to help you with the structure!

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 3:56am
post #4 of 5

Hmm...the picture uploading didn't work for me either - strange!

pursuing_perfection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pursuing_perfection Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 5:12pm
post #5 of 5

I finally found the website that the customer got the cake picture from. Paste this link into your browser:
http://kidstarkastles.multiply.com/photos/album/2/CAKES_and_CUPCAKES_.._
The picture is five rows down, 3 cakes in from the left side, and reads "photo courtesy of Kitchen Krafts". It is a Care Bear Cake (although I am supposed to change it to My Little Pony).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%