Engagement Ring Box

Decorating By DinasSugarShack Updated 7 Sep 2010 , 12:55am by MadMillie

DinasSugarShack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DinasSugarShack Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 3:02am
post #1 of 9

Does anyone know of a tutorial or set of instructions on how to make a ring box whether out of gumpaste or out of cake?
I need to make one for my sisters engagement cake.
Thanks

8 replies
tiffani_1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiffani_1 Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 8:31pm
post #2 of 9

I dont know of instructions per say but you can figure it out easily - you dont need instructions - if its out of cake - cover square cake in bc, and you could either cover in fondant or cut pastillage sides for it.

if its for the topper, then just assemble a box out of dried squares of gumpaste - using royal icing.

momade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momade Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 11:20pm
post #3 of 9
sugarandstuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandstuff Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 11:54pm
post #4 of 9

I just made my first one - delivered today. I actually used the link momade gave you for most of it. I ordered the diamond mold from www.decoratethecake.com. I am very new to fondant work, etc...and I honestly almost had a heart attack with this cake! LOL .They wanted cream and cranberry - which were problematic enough in that the cream fondant picked up every speck of everything and the cranberry was near impossible for me to color. It was very difficult for me to get the diamond to work - problems were with the sugar and band. I ordered the 3.5 diamond mold which was huge - I needed to have my dad make a support for the band out of PVC pipe which I don't like to use non-edible stuff, but had no choice, ran out of time. Finally got a good diamond and then I couldn't get my gold luster dust painted on.....long story short - I got it done and the client was very happy with it, but it was a lot of work and probably not my best choice for being so new. Not sure what your sugar work experience is but for what it's worth, if I was doing it again, I would PROBABLY just get a diamond paperweight from Michael's like a lot of people do, or do the mold out of white chocolate w/ silver luster dust. The top of the box w the bow I used RCT. I'd post a pic if I could, but I can't seem to upload any pictures for the past few weeks.

DinasSugarShack Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 2:52am
post #5 of 9

Thanks ladies for your replies. I went on the link though and everytime I press on the instruction link it says page not found.
I think I am worried more about the lid, how to keep it open and secure it. I have a fake diamond that I will make the ring out of.
Does anyone have an idea on how to deal with the lid?

Thanks
Dina

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 3:21am
post #6 of 9

I've made the engagement ring box out of RKTs covered with fondant. It made it very easy to have the top of the box open partway, because what I did was to stick two toothpicks in one of the top edges of the finished box at the angle I wanted the lid and then I pushed the finished lid straight into the toothpicks. Worked like a charm. If your ring box is made of cake, though, I'm not sure what you could do.

sugarandstuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandstuff Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 2:28am
post #7 of 9

I made mine out of RKT and proped it onto the side of the cake. Here is a link - I can't upload pics to cc anymore.
My ring needs help, I know icon_sad.gif But all and all, I got through it... I hope to make it again in a better color combo and do a better job all round w/ the diamond.

http://www.facebook.com/chocolate.in.the.oven?v=photos&ref=ts#!/photo.php?pid=353725&id=150572254966926&ref=fbx_album

DinasSugarShack Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 12:43am
post #8 of 9

what is RKT? I am fairly new to this site and the lingo gets a little lost on me

MadMillie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadMillie Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 12:55am
post #9 of 9

Rice Krispy Treats

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%