Carrot Cupcakes/banana-Nut Cupcake Help

Baking By puzzlegut Updated 6 Sep 2010 , 1:56am by snns

puzzlegut Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 2:18am
post #1 of 9

I'm looking to make carrot cupcakes and banana nut cupcakes for an upcoming work event. I was planning on doing the cake mix extender and adding additional items. Does anyone know what and how much to add to the cake mix extenders to turn them into carrot cupcakes and banana nut cupcakes, respectively.

Also, any suggestions on fillings and buttercream flavors that would complements each cupcake flavor?

8 replies
Fleur_de_Lis Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 3:08am
post #2 of 9

I use a from scratch recipe for both my carrot pecan and banana pecan cakes/cupcakes. Not sure about an extender.

As far as the buttercreams I recommend cream cheese for both of those flavors.

puzzlegut Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 8:25pm
post #3 of 9

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll probably do cream cheese frosting for the carrot cupcakes. I might do peanut butter cream cheese frosting for the banana nut cupcakes. Any suggestions on fillings for the cupcakes? I could just do a basic cream filling unless something has an idea for another flavor that would compliment the cupcakes.

durell87 Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 8:52pm
post #4 of 9

mmm I think a white chocolate. Filling for the carrot and a banana cream filling for the banana cupcakes! Yumm

cpwong00 Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 9:11pm
post #5 of 9

I recently made banana cupcakes (from scratch- no idea about an extender sorry) and turned them into banana split cupcakes. I topped them with cream cheese frosting (I think vanilla would have been yummy too), chocolate ganache, chopped walnuts, colored jimmies, and a cherry. They looked and tasted so good.

Good luck on your cupcakes!

LindaF144a Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 10:40pm
post #6 of 9

What is an extender? To get more batter? Or do you mean the doctored cake mixes talked about on here?

puzzlegut Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 12:54am
post #7 of 9
Originally Posted by LindaF144

What is an extender? To get more batter? Or do you mean the doctored cake mixes talked about on here?

An extender is adding extra ingredients to increase the amount of batter a cake mix can make. I add 1 cup each of flour, white sugar, and sour cream to a cake mix. Not only do I get extra batter, but I find that the cakes taste better.

snns Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 1:18am
post #8 of 9

sorry to deviate the thread...
so while adding the extender do we increase the flavor too..?for example here more bananas..?or carrots..?
any particular thing that we need to keep in mind while doing this..?
or any thread to explain all this pls would be helpful too...
what/when do we go for an would it differ from doubling the recipe..?
thank you for reading the above would appreciate any info too pls...

snns Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 1:56am
post #9 of 9

also is this for cake mix recipes or scratch ones..?

Quote by @%username% on %date%