I'm Cheating! Silly Question...

Decorating By step0nmi Updated 2 Sep 2010 , 1:37am by cownsj

step0nmi Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 2:12am
post #1 of 6

as some of you might know I'm making a Lombardi Trophy for my Dad's 50th birthday cake.

TODAY I found a paper mache xmas tree at hobby lobby icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
yuuup, you might have guessed it, I'm using that as my base instead of rice krispy treats (they didn't turn out and I have no patience for them). anyway...

since it's non edible and I want to cover it in fondant...should I do anything to it before covering it in fondant?? should I just treat it like a dummy or styrofoam and just apply shortening?

Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
step0nmi Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 10:35pm
post #2 of 6

oh! I'm sorry...it's not "paper mache" paper mache...it's more like cardboard. but I know what you mean! icon_wink.gif

GGx1 Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 10:59pm
post #3 of 6

I say GREAT!! I too have difficilty with RKT.

cownsj Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 11:03pm
post #4 of 6

I'm curious, what problems is it that both of you are having with RKT?

step0nmi Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 11:27pm
post #5 of 6

i'm just not that real experienced with RKTs and I would prefer to use something that I know is more stable. plus, it's very humid here and my RKTs never firmed up icon_razz.gif

cownsj Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 1:37am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by step0nmi

i'm just not that real experienced with RKTs and I would prefer to use something that I know is more stable. plus, it's very humid here and my RKTs never firmed up icon_razz.gif

I had a feeling it was the humidity problem, only because I just ran into that BIG TIME. The Buzz Lightyear cake we did has a space ship that is crashing, so it's on an angle. (Here's a photo that shows that cut angle: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1764674⊂=1764684) Made it out of RKT, cut the angle, all was perfect. Covered it in buttercream then fondant. As we were about to put it on the cake, it literally fell apart in our hands, as though we had tried to make the ship out of a handful of just cereal. We nearly panicked. We regrouped, and reused the same exact RKT batch, including some that was still in the bowl, but still the same batch. We made the base part of the ship, let it setup in the fridge, then painted it with candy melts. Then we did the bubble part of the ship, set it up in the fridge again and again painted it with candy melts. Then we cut our angle and painted that. Covered it in bc, then the fondant and it stayed perfect. I think I'll forever do that with any RKT items we have to make in the future. Same batch, same day, same heat, same humity, just painted on melted candy melts and it held perfectly, evenwith it cut on an angle.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%