Do You Still Get Nervous?

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 1 Sep 2010 , 2:04pm by fabray13

Mikel79 Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 1:19am
post #1 of 18

Hi Cakers!! icon_biggrin.gif

I hope I am not alone in the same boat here! Whenever I start to ice and decorate a cake, I am always so tense, nervous and stressed out! I'm afraid something is going to go wrong.

Do these feeling get better with time??? God I hope!!

Thanks,

Michael icon_biggrin.gif

17 replies
tesso Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 2:43am
post #2 of 18

geez.. I dont know how to break this to you... NO. When I am doing a wedding cake I am stressed for about three days before the wedding. My highest point of stress is delivery. Not that my cakes are unsturdy..but that my husband will trip while carrying them. icon_lol.gif

cathyscakes Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 2:58am
post #3 of 18

I always stress. Because too many things have happened thru the years.Never know when it will happen again. It gets better, at least I know how to fix mistakes now, but am so thrilled when nothing goes wrong, which doesn't happen too often.

thatslifeca Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 2:58am
post #4 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesso

geez.. I dont know how to break this to you... NO. When I am doing a wedding cake I am stressed for about three days before the wedding. My highest point of stress is delivery. Not that my cakes are unsturdy..but that my husband will trip while carrying them. icon_lol.gif

LOL I would say that sums it up!

auntiecake Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 3:11am
post #5 of 18

No not when decorating! Delivery can be stressful depending on the circumstances. It will get better w/time.

JenniferMI Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 3:15am
post #6 of 18

The stress will lessen with the more you do.... trust me.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Colliegirl Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 3:19am
post #7 of 18

I suffer a stress disorder and thought, in my ignorance, that cake decorating would be fun and not much stress....... icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif what a dodo I was.

But being a masochist I still do the cakes... I stress at the getting the ideas together, I stress at baking process, I stress at the decoration process and I stress at the delivery. So the only time I am not stressed is when I see the customer's face and have walked away being paid..... Hope that helps! icon_lol.gif

auntiecake Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 4:18am
post #8 of 18

Just have fun and enjoy it! The more you learn the easier it will be!

Evoir Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 4:42am
post #9 of 18

Hmmm, yeah, I still get stressed, but its a good stress these days. Productive stress, rather than panicky stress!

Unlimited Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 5:43am
post #10 of 18

Never haveeven with an audience... just use this as an opportunity to show off your skills with those who can't do what you do!

Railroad tracks and pot holes make me nervous!

adventuregal Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 6:28am
post #11 of 18

every time I take a cake order I get an excited nervous feeling-because I never know what particular challenges may lie ahead. I have to say though-it has gotten a lot less stressful the more cakes I've done. Now my process feels more like a well oiled machine. I've tried to enjoy every stage of the cake decorating adventure though-because once you have everything figured out you miss the challenges icon_smile.gif

Mikel79 Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 9:38am
post #12 of 18

I have to agree with an earilier post about having so much go wrong on me in the past!

The only stress free moment in the cake process is when the customer cuts into my cake!! Finally, the cake can fall off the board, at least it has been cut into!!!

Well, it sucks that my stress might not go away. But MAYBE it may ease up a little!!

Michael
icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 11:08am
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited

Never haveeven with an audience... just use this as an opportunity to show off your skills with those who can't do what you do!

Absolutely agree! I think you have to have a little "Ham" in you because part of this job is performance and entertainment!

Give me a stage, an audience and a microphone and I'm in hog heaven!! LUV setting up cakes with an audience .... LUV cutting a cake with an audience.

Never nervous about doing a cake anymore. I get pi$$ed when a cake doesn't cooperate (stupid 6" rounds!), but I never do a cake and spend ANY time "worrying" about something going wrong.

You wouldn't be doing this for friends, family and/or as a business if you weren't confident in your skills. Let that confidence shine!! thumbs_up.gif

Occther Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 11:10am
post #14 of 18

Guess I am weird - I find making, icing and decorating cakes a stress reliever for me. My biggest stress is getting a wedding cake finished and delivered on time. Fortunately, it is only a hobby for me.

poohsmomma Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 12:13pm
post #15 of 18

The baking and icing and smoothing relaxes me. It's the hours and days before actually executing the cake that stress me out. I try to go to sleep at night and my mind just races with ideas about things I need to do or try to complete the cake. I can't turn my brain off!

hsmomma Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 1:35pm
post #16 of 18

When I was beginning decorating and completed cakes, I completed them until I thought they were "good enough". Now, I don't quit until I KNOW they are good enough. That takes much of the stress away ~ delivering a cake that I know is good.

Though I do get a bit stressed on delivery day...but, that all goes away when the cake is sitting safely in it's venue.

bobwonderbuns Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 2:00pm
post #17 of 18

I was just thinking about this the last wedding cake I did -- I'm at the point where I'm more comfortable with my skills and enjoying it more, but I also push myself to a higher level with every cake and if I really like the client then I tend to get nervous. Funny, huh?

fabray13 Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 2:04pm
post #18 of 18

I say decorating is a good stress for me (if thats possible) =) I love decorating and planning. The bad stress comes when I have to deliver a cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%