For Those Of You Who Use Crystals And Gems (Non Edible).

Decorating By CakeInfatuation Updated 15 Oct 2010 , 7:23am by Evoir

CakeInfatuation Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 12:57am
post #1 of 11

When you decorate a cake that has a ton of swarovski crystals or rhinestones or whatever all over it... How does that work out when it is time to cut and serve the cake? Does the person serving have to have instructions on peeling the fondant off those pieces, or picking each stone off, or do they make a general announcement to the guests...???

I've avoided them being directly on the cake because of this. I can only imagine how ugly it would get if someone broke a tooth!

So... how do you handle it?

Here's an example of what I'm questioning. This is a very pretty cake that is on the home page today. http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1790745

10 replies
tesso Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 2:40am
post #2 of 11

those are probably edible gems, made from isomalt.

But to answer you question, I have used non-edible gems and I am the only one who serves that cake, so that I can make sure all non-edible material is off the cake.

CakeInfatuation Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 3:17am
post #3 of 11

I make a lot of edible gems from Isomalt and I don't think those are it.

I'd love to hear from someone that has made a cake with non edible gems and wasn't present to serve the cake.

JenniferMI Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 3:19am
post #4 of 11

I personally talk to whoever is cutting the cake and instruct them to remove them because they are non-edible.

Jen icon_smile.gif

CakeInfatuation Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 3:21am
post #5 of 11

Do they just pick off each gem or peel the fondant away? Especially if there are hundreds of them?

mmellie Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 5:01pm
post #6 of 11

This is all dependent on the venue, but at most weddings, cooks or those in charge of the dinner or cake peel off the fondant before cutting the cake anyways. I always remind them, just in case.

BluntlySpeakingKarma Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 6:04pm
post #7 of 11

We offer full service cutting and serving. Actually, we usually insist, as ours are often times covered in crystals and other things that need to be discreetly removed quickly and accounted for. We weigh the batch of crystals prior to going on the cake, and we offload them to the little scale while we're removing them. If it matches up, we're good to go. We do this quickly and efficiently and usually have service beginning within 10 minutes of the cake cutting.

One time, we had so many to take off, and there wasn't a chance of them catching in any area of the cake, so we all stood on different sides with teeny little dental picks, and just went to town popping them off. On the floor they went. Was pretty funny. I can imagine the cleaning crew finding all these little "diamonds" everywhere later that night.

BluntlySpeakingKarma Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 6:06pm
post #8 of 11

Also, I could be wrong, but that particular cake you are referencing, looks like those crystals are the plastic kind sold on prearranged strips for scrapbooking. Already arranged on a sheet of sticky stuff so you just peel and place all at once. I could be wrong though.

sadsmile Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 6:15pm
post #9 of 11

Yeah no way those are edible... edible ones just aren't that neat and sparkly, those are the ones from the craft aisle.

Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 10:55pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaCakes10

Also, I could be wrong, but that particular cake you are referencing, looks like those crystals are the plastic kind sold on prearranged strips for scrapbooking. Already arranged on a sheet of sticky stuff so you just peel and place all at once. I could be wrong though.

I agree, I think that is what they are as well.

Evoir Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 7:23am
post #11 of 11

It's not allowed in Australia. Even if you are careful picking them off, there is always the chance of one being in there, and chipping someone's tooth, or causing an internal laceration if swallowed.

Its so not worth it, IMO.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%