Cream Cheese Smbc

Baking By Weimtigress319 Updated 4 Sep 2010 , 1:17am by aswartzw

Weimtigress319 Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 12:56am
post #1 of 20

Have any of you out there tried making this?? I am thinking I would like to use it to fill Red Velvet cupcakes...

Thoughts?? Amounts??

Thanks!!

Stephanie

19 replies
LindaF144a Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 5:22pm
post #2 of 20

Yes, I have and I did not like the results. It is soft to the point of being runny. It will not pipe well.

It may work well for a filling, but as far as a frosting, not my cup of tea.

However if you do a search on CC, this did come up before. There are a couple of other people who have made this, but they add no more than 1/3 cup of cream cheese. I wanted more of a tang than that so I have since abaondoned the idea and moved on.

However, after doing an internet search I have read that several people have done this with IMBC and got very stable results, so I might visit it again sometime....maybe...might.

PattyT Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 5:32pm
post #3 of 20

I tried it too, and had the same result...very runny. May have something to do with how much you have to beat it.

Not wasted as I ended up adding lemon and used it as a poured frosting/glaze on mini-carrot cakes.

I also saw the Italian Meringue recipe here on CC, but haven't had chance to try it yet either.

aswartzw Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 5:41pm
post #4 of 20

If you overmix the cream cheese in the BC, you will make it curdle.

Whip the cream cheese separately and then fold it into the BC. This also means you don't want to reuse it after freezing.

LindaF144a Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 6:00pm
post #5 of 20

Hmmm....curdling is part of the SMBC process, so I'm not too sure this will work. I am reluctant to try only due to all the bazillion other ways I tried this and wasted tons of eggs, butter, sugar and cream cheese.

My problem was not with curdling, but with it breaking down the meringue and turning to pure soup. Are you sure this will work? And how much cream cheese are you adding?

galliesway Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 6:06pm
post #6 of 20

What recipe are you using? I was wanting to try FromScratch's( JKalman) recipe w/ cream cheese. I have tried the regular version and it was fantastic. She said it would curdle if you used a light version of CC and over beat it. She said to use the full fat version. I'm going to give it a shot today. She is the SMBC queen. icon_smile.gif

LindaF144a Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 6:15pm
post #7 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by galliesway

What recipe are you using? I was wanting to try FromScratch's( JKalman) recipe w/ cream cheese. I have tried the regular version and it was fantastic. She said it would curdle if you used a light version of CC and over beat it. She said to use the full fat version. I'm going to give it a shot today. She is the SMBC queen. icon_smile.gif

Do you have a link to this site?

I used full fat Philly cream cheese.

And what is the regular version? No cream cheese in the SMBC? Yes you are right, it is awesome. That is why I would love to be able to make a cream cheese SMBC. How much cream cheese does she add?

galliesway Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 6:23pm
post #8 of 20

It's on here. Hopefully this will pull up the page it's on as there are many pages. She said 8oz to the 5 egg recipe. It's page 13 if it's not the correct page. Yes, regular version if what I call plain SMBC.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=594605&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=180

aswartzw Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 6:46pm
post #9 of 20

It indeed breaks down the BC and makes it curdle except this curdle, you can't recover from, unlike when making SMBC.

I also use full fat and find using a mixer is always the end of my BC. Just whip it first and then fold it in. Never fails.

I use anywhere from 3 oz. to a whole brick. Just depends how creamy I'm feeling. icon_smile.gif

The last cake I uploaded is iced in cream cheese IMBC.

LindaF144a Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 7:34pm
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by aswartzw

It indeed breaks down the BC and makes it curdle except this curdle, you can't recover from, unlike when making SMBC.

I also use full fat and find using a mixer is always the end of my BC. Just whip it first and then fold it in. Never fails.

I use anywhere from 3 oz. to a whole brick. Just depends how creamy I'm feeling. icon_smile.gif

Okay, you have given me confidence to try again. I'll let you know if this works for me.

aswartzw Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 8:37pm
post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF144

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswartzw

Okay, you have given me confidence to try again. I'll let you know if this works for me.

Good luck!

Weimtigress319 Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 9:21pm
post #12 of 20

I always use JKalman's SMBC recipe, I've never had a failure (unless you count the time it took me 3 shots to remember to add sugar to the whites, don't ask)

So the consensus seems to be that I can add full fat Cream Cheese and have no trouble?? Amount to be determined by how much TANG I want??

I will give it a shot. Personally, I think it's awful to add cream cheese to this heavenly stuff, but what the bride wants...

Thanks for the help!!

Weimtigress319 Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 9:26pm
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by galliesway

It's on here. Hopefully this will pull up the page it's on as there are many pages. She said 8oz to the 5 egg recipe. It's page 13 if it's not the correct page. Yes, regular version if what I call plain SMBC.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=594605&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=180

Thank you for posting that... I searched and searched for "Cream Cheese" instead of the abbreviation, which is probably why I never saw those posts in that thread, which I have already bookmarked previously.

I already made the SMBC last night, so I will whip up the CC seperately and fold it in I think.

Thanks!!

Weimtigress319 Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 12:24am
post #14 of 20

OK, so I just finished whipping this all up...

It is EPIC. So good! I used 16oz of cream cheese to ONE recipe of the SMBC big batch tutorial that's on here.

So that's 16 oz cream cheese to 20 egg whites. I skipped the vanilla.

I just whipped up the cream cheese till it was fluffy, then added in the SMBC a spoonula at a time.

Delish! And I don't even like cream cheese in ANYTHING.

Those RV cupcakes are gonna be gooooood.

aswartzw Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 2:01am
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weimtigress319

OK, so I just finished whipping this all up...

It is EPIC. So good! I used 16oz of cream cheese to ONE recipe of the SMBC big batch tutorial that's on here.

So that's 16 oz cream cheese to 20 egg whites. I skipped the vanilla.

I just whipped up the cream cheese till it was fluffy, then added in the SMBC a spoonula at a time.

Delish! And I don't even like cream cheese in ANYTHING.

Those RV cupcakes are gonna be gooooood.

Glad it worked! A bit time consuming but anything SMBC is and it's always worth it. icon_wink.gif

LindaF144a Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 2:40am
post #16 of 20

I tried this tonight also. I did 5 egg whites, 7 oz sugar and 4 sticks of butter. I then divided it in half and added 8 oz cream cheese to it. So this means I would add 16 ounces for a whole batch of SMBC. I think I should have added the 4 ounces and let it rest for a bit so that the flavor would have a chance to come out. Still the 8 ounces is not overpowering. It worked great. Thank you for finally breaking the code for me for CC SMBC.

I, however, would have preferred this a bit sweeter. I usually use a ratio of 1,2,3 and I think I will go back to that for the sugar part as everything else was to the ratio except for the sugar.

I hope the client I am meeting with tomorrow likes a less sweet frosting. But that will be something I can easily fix.

Again, thank you. I love it.

aswartzw Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 7:41pm
post #17 of 20
Quote:

I tried this tonight also. I did 5 egg whites, 7 oz sugar and 4 sticks of butter. I then divided it in half and added 8 oz cream cheese to it. So this means I would add 16 ounces for a whole batch of SMBC. I think I should have added the 4 ounces and let it rest for a bit so that the flavor would have a chance to come out. Still the 8 ounces is not overpowering. It worked great. Thank you for finally breaking the code for me for CC SMBC.

I, however, would have preferred this a bit sweeter. I usually use a ratio of 1,2,3 and I think I will go back to that for the sugar part as everything else was to the ratio except for the sugar.

I hope the client I am meeting with tomorrow likes a less sweet frosting. But that will be something I can easily fix.

Again, thank you. I love it.

Glad it worked for you! This combo almost made me pull my hair out as well until I switched to doing this. icon_biggrin.gif

LindaF144a Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 7:47pm
post #18 of 20

It worked great. Except that my cute little flower fondant melted all over the frosting cause I put the cupcakes in an airtight container. icon_sad.gif

I had just enough butter to make a half batch, which I did adding the proper amount of sugar. It actually tasted better. So good that I personally ate the extra cupcake I had left instead of saving it for my DH. He will have to wait for the next batch. icon_wink.gif

galliesway Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 4:18pm
post #19 of 20

Love it! I had issues with mine being soupy chalked it up to either grease residue in bowl or bad liquid egg whites. Yummm. RV cuppies with CCSMBC!

aswartzw Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 1:17am
post #20 of 20
Quote:

It worked great. Except that my cute little flower fondant melted all over the frosting cause I put the cupcakes in an airtight container. icon_sad.gif

I had just enough butter to make a half batch, which I did adding the proper amount of sugar. It actually tasted better. So good that I personally ate the extra cupcake I had left instead of saving it for my DH. He will have to wait for the next batch. icon_wink.gif

The baker always gets first pick. icon_wink.gif

Never knew there were suggested ratios for CC only. I've always used my regular recipe. Glad you prefer the normal version; I think it makes it so much easier to stick to one recipe and just tossing in the extra. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%